Jure Sanguinis Eligibility

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leier19

Jure Sanguinis Eligibility

Post by leier19 »

Hey All!

I am new to the forum, but have been reading for some time now trying to figure out if I am eligible for Jure Sanguinis, but I believe I have hit a road block and am coming to you for some help.

I have two linage tracks to use:

My grandfather (my mother's father), born in Italy 1925, immigrated here around 1928-29. I am unsure of his parents marriage date, but am looking into that further. His Mother and Father naturalized in 1945 and 1939, respectively. The way I am seeing it is that since his father naturalized while he was still a minor, my grandfather's citizenship rights were revoked. Does the fact that his mother didn't naturalize till after he was 20 help me out at all or does that depend on their marriage date? I think I might have hit a dead end here, but not 100% sure.

My grand mother (my mother's mother) born in New York in 1933, her parents (Italian born) were married in 1930. Her father naturalized in 1929, before she was born, but her mother didn't naturalized until 1940. Again, I think I have hit a brick wall there too, but wanted to see what your thoughts were.

In both cases, I think I might be out of luck as both great grand fathers naturalized while my grandfather was a minor (14 years old) or on the other side, he naturalized before my grandmother was born. But my great grandmothers both naturalized after he was no longer a minor, and after my grandmother's birth.

Any and all feedback is welcome and thank in advance for your help. I am willing to take steps forward if you think it may be possible, whether through the courts or another way, just looking for more information.

Grazie Tante
mler
Master
Master

Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility

Post by mler »

It appears you have a 1948 case through your mother’s mother.

Your mother’s father was born in Italy and thus naturalized with his father. End of his Italian citizenship although his mother retained hers for a few more years. (BTW, the age of majority before 1975 in Italy was 21.)

Your mother’s mother was born in the US, and thus was born with US citizenship jus soli. Since her mother was Italian when she was born, she obtained Italian citizenship as well (but because this was before 1948, you need to go through the courts).