citizenship through mother >> Italian grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tammymcnary

citizenship through mother >> Italian grandfather

Post by tammymcnary »

Hi there,

My mother and I were born in the US (1942 and 1965). Her father and grandfather were born in Sicily (1912 and 1885). They both came to the US in the 1920s, but at separate times. My maternal great grandfather arrived in the US in 1921 and was naturalized in 1925. His son, my maternal grandfather arrived in 1928 at the age of 16.

There are naturalization records for my maternal great grandfather but none for my grandfather.
Was my grandfather considered a US citizen upon his arrival into the US as a minor with a parent who was already naturalized? Am I eligible for Italian citizenship?

Thank you for any help you can offer!
tammymcnary

Re: citizenship through mother >> Italian grandfather

Post by tammymcnary »

My great grandfather’s certificate of naturalization is dated January of 1928 and my grandfather arrived in the US July of 1928.
mler
Master
Master

Re: citizenship through mother >> Italian grandfather

Post by mler »

Unfortunately, no. Your grandfather obtained citizenship as a minor through his naturalized father. The reason you have no naturalization records for your grandfather is that he naturalized with his father. This is called derivative naturalization, and the citizenship line ended at that time.

Do you have another possible line to use?