No naturalization certificate but other proofs that my great-grandfather was not American citizen when my Nana was born

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Ritaly

No naturalization certificate but other proofs that my great-grandfather was not American citizen when my Nana was born

Post by Ritaly »

So my great-grandfather came over to the United States in 1921 from Italy. My Nana, his daughter, was born about a decade later, in 1931. I know for a fact that he became an American citizen sometime AFTER 1940. I have proof that he was not an American citizen in 1940, after the birth of my Nana- through a 1940 census which lists him as Italian and specifically not American- but I still cannot find a naturalization certificate.

Do other proofs count to the "child born while parent was still an Italian citizen" aspect of things? Or do I absolutely 100% require a certificate of naturalization?
mler
Master
Master

Re: No naturalization certificate but other proofs that my great-grandfather was not American citizen when my Nana was b

Post by mler »

You need to prove he never naturalized or show he definitely did, and the census is not sufficient. Ask USCIS to do a records search, and also check with the county/counties in which he resided.