Applyiing for Jure Sanguinis from Spain

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
joelouis821

Applyiing for Jure Sanguinis from Spain

Post by joelouis821 »

So the short story is, I recently discovered that I am eligible for Jure Sanguinis through my GGGF from Palermo who immigrated to NY in 1904 and had my GGF in 1907. So my line is GGGF-GGF-GF-F- ME. My GGGF never became a US Citizen and died in 1920 right after the 1920 census. I currently live in NY where the wait time for an appiontment is currently two years. However, due to other circumstances I will be moving to Barcelona Spain in the summer and staying there permanently. What would be the best way to submit my application? Can I apply at the Consulate in Barcelona? Should I return to NY for the Appointment ? Or is there another way? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Applyiing for Jure Sanguinis from Spain

Post by mler »

You apply where you legally reside, and that appears to be Spain.
joelouis821

Post by joelouis821 »

Should my expectation for applying from Spain be that it will be an easier or harder process? Longer or shorter? Any one have any experience with a similar situation?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

What is your basis for living in Spain permanently? It will depend on the type of visa you have been issued whether or not you can apply at an Italian consulate in Spain.
joelouis821

Post by joelouis821 »

I’ll be living there on a non-lucrative Visa
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

That should do it.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

What do you mean by non lucrative? For example, a student visa is non lucrative but this type of visa will not be acceptable to apply for Italian citizenship at an Italian consulate in Spain.
joelouis821

Post by joelouis821 »

A Non-Lucrative Visa is the official name of what is sometimes referred to as a Retirement Visa. A Student Visa and a Non-Lucrative Visa are two distinct and separate type of visas, and in fact, a Student Visa IS NOT non-lucrative as you can legally work in Spain with a Student Visa. A Non-Lucrative Visa is a form of Long Stay Resident Visa, requiring that the individual applying have a substantial source of income from outside of Spain ( such as a pension/savings), and that the individual will not be permitted to work in Spain.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Then you are good to apply in Spain. I had a similar type retirement visa in Mexico and I applied at the Italian consulate in Mexico City in 2001. At that time the consulate was very generous and translated all of my US documents for free. And of course there was no application fee.