spellings and dates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Petrullos

spellings and dates

Post by Petrullos »

I have the required lineage and have found my ancestors records from Italy, but my family members have variations in spelling and other details. For example, my Italian-born great-grandfather, "Francesco" appears as "Frank" on his NYC death certificate. His mother's name, "Maria Giuseppa," appears as "Josephina" on his death certificate and her maiden name is not shown, and his death certificate gives a different birth year than his birth certificate. My American-born grandfather is "Vincenzo" on his NYC birth certificate and 'Vincent" on his marriage license and death certificate. Do these irregularities mean I am ineligible for dual citizenship?
mler
Master
Master

Re: spellings and dates

Post by mler »

All the discrepancies you describe are English translations of Italian names. You should be ok.

The death certificate date discrepancy should also be ok.
Petrullos

Post by Petrullos »

Thank you very much for answering. I have had the opposite answer from an attorney on the question who told me that she has "never" seen an approval with any discrepancy. I will proceed in any case, as I do have a direct lineage and all of the documents, so except for the hassle of procuring the apostilles, it is worth it for me to try. But I would like to know if others have actually succeeded with name anglicizations and the date discrepancy in the death certificate. Do you know of successful attempts with these issues?
JCL

Post by JCL »

Petrullos - any update on your progress?

I have a similar situation as described by Petrullos.

I too have read mixed statements on Anglicization of names - some saying that it didn't matter for their application, others saying they had to get a court declaration of "one and the same" and/or petition to have corrected vital records issued. (I'm wondering if those were perhaps instigated by attorneys looking to pad their billable hours.)

My paternal great-grandfather through whom I would be eligible to claim Italian citizenship is named Antonio on his Italian birth certificate, but on various US documents he used Antonio, Anthony, and Tony.

I am more concerned with the discrepancy in his birth date.

His on-line Italian birth record (I have not yet written to request an official copy) shows that he was born on June 20th 1896. On most of his US documents - including his naturalization papers, death record, and even WWII era draft card - his birth date is listed as June 28th 1896.

Should I be concerned about these name & date discrepancies? I'll be applying through the Chicago Consulate.

Thanks!

Side note:

I know it's not relevant to my jure sanguinis application, but I found one instance of my GGF claiming May 12th 1896 as his birth date - I found that one on his WWI era (1917) draft card. This May 12th birth date would have made him 21 years old and eligible to be drafted at his time of registration (June 5th 1917), whereas his "official" birth date of June 28th (or even his "real" Italian birth record date of June 20th), would have made him 20 years old, and thus too young by a few weeks. So he lied about his age in order to be ELIGIBLE to be drafted! Wow.