Name discrepancies and "One and the Same Person" court orders

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
njb

Name discrepancies and "One and the Same Person" court orders

Post by njb »

Below I have listed some naming discrepancies in my lineage back to Italy. I would like to know the likelihood that I will be required to obtain "One and the Same Person" court orders when I apply for jure sanguinis.

• Family name: Occasionally spelled with and "a" at the end until the 1920s, then always spelled with an "o".
  • 2nd great grandmother: Birth certificate reads "Renda", all other documents read "Renna".
  • Great grandfather: Birth certificate reads "Vincenzo", marriage certificate reads "James V.", all other documents read "James" (I understand that this was common for Sicilian families).
  • Great grandmother: Birth certificate reads "DiVincenzi", marriage certificate reads "DiVincenzo".
  • Grandfather: Birth certificate reads "Pasquale Nicholas", marriage certificate reads "Nicholas Patrick", all other documents read "Patrick Nicholas".

Luckily, my grandfather is still alive and my lineage back to Italy is through all male ascendants, so I hope there will be less concern with the discrepancies for my female ascendants.

There are a few "date" discrepancies as well, mostly having to do when the age was listed rather than the date of birth. Should I be concerned with that as well?

Edit: I should note, the only Italian documents I require are my 2nd great grandparents' birth certificates. All others in question are from New York City, and I will be applying at the New York consulate.
Cristina319
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Name discrepancies and "One and the Same Person" court orders

Post by Cristina319 »

I had similar problems, and an Italian lawyer told me I would have to go to court to have them all changed. My birth county would not do that, nor would they give me a "one and the same" certificate signed by a judge. I let that atty and went through an agency. THey told me all I needed was to write a document stating that "Dan" was "Donato," "Mary" was "Maria," etc., have it notarized and apostilled, and I would be fine.

I had no problem and got my citizenship last week.

PM me if you have questions.

Cri
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

Cristina,

Are you saying you just write a letter and have it notarized at your local jurisdiction? I'm a little confused as it seems like this could easily be abused? Is it that simple?

Thanks!
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
java4me9

Post by java4me9 »

Hi yes Cristina...can you elaborate a little more as I have a similar issue with an appointment Friday. My great grandfather was vendetti and on my grandfathers birth he put vendy. that seems to be the only discrepancy i see...
please let me know who do i take a letter to etc.
Cristina319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cristina319 »

I apologize for my late answer.... I have been ill recently.

Both my translator and the woman who handled my application told me I could use the certificate.
I had to have a lawyer draw up the one-and-the-same certificate, have it notarized, and have the secretary of state apostille. It was my only option as the country where my grandparents and mother lived will only do a name correction/change if the person is still alive (They are not.), and they will not do a one-and-the-same.

I think that it is not likely to be abused as it is against the law to lie to a notary. A notarized document is a legal document. It's not as easy as it seems. The comune (I went through a town in Italy) contacted the Detroit consulate, and they checked dates and names and such.

I hope this helps.

Cristina