Adoption Affecting Eligibility

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pensierostupendo

Adoption Affecting Eligibility

Post by pensierostupendo » 06 Feb 2019, 22:07

Hello everyone - was looking to see if anyone could help out with two questions I have, any answers are appreciated and my apologies if the questions have been answered already.
I've always assumed I was eligible for Italian citizenship, and would claim it through my paternal GGF born in Italy.

However I have two issues: My father is not Italian by blood but was adopted by an Italian family in 1952. The adoption is indicated in a roundabout way not the birth certificate - it shows my Italian GF as his parent but indicates that the certificate was issued pursuant to a law (which a consulate could easily look up and identify as an adoption law). Would we still be able to claim citizenship through him even though the adoption is before 1967?

If so, I have one more issue. On my GGF's naturalization petition (filed Feb 1918), my grandfather wasn't listed on it because he wasn't yet born. He was born around 2 weeks BEFORE the Oath of Allegiance/Certificate of Naturalization was issued (June 1918).
However, my grandfather's brother who has the same name as him was actually listed on the petition. Yet the brother was dead about two years before the Declaration of Intention was even issued (he died as an infant, I have birth and death cert for him) -- would this hurt my chances?

Thanks so much for your help, I again greatly appreciate it.