Dual citizenship - parents' divorce record?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Buscape

Dual citizenship - parents' divorce record?

Post by Buscape »

Hello all!

I am in the long, but pretty interesting, process of compiling records for a dual citizenship application via jure sanguinis. I see on my local consulate's requirements the following:

If applicable, you are required to provide the final judgment of divorce or, in case of death of a spouse, the certificate of death of your father/mother.

My parents divorced long after my birth and are now deceased. I have official, apostille copies of both death certificates. So, do I need to get an official record of their divorce as well?

I don't understand what exactly "in case of death of a spouse, the certificate of death of your father/mother" implies for my case. I'm hoping it means that since both of my parents are deceased, I do not need to submit the "final judgement of divorce" because it's a bit difficult to track down and legally access, I've found.

Thank you for the advice!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual citizenship - parents' divorce record?

Post by mler »

I would not bother submitting any of their divorce records. If either one had divorced prior to their marriage, that divorce would be applicable to you because it confirmed the legitimacy of their marriage. Since their divorce occurred well after you were born, it is not relevant.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

While I agree with mier in concept, some consular officials...upon seeing "divorced" on the death record of a parent in your "Italian" line, might then ask you for the divorce record.

This happened to friend that I helped who applied at the Boston consulate. You could go to the appointment with the the document in hand...just to see if you are asked for it, or alternatively send it in later...just in case it is required.
TerraLavoro
Buscape

Post by Buscape »

Thank you both! Hmmm...I'm hoping that it will turn out as mier suggests.

My mother's death certificate does say "divorced" so they would know about it if they read carefully. Unfortunately, it is quite a hassle to get the divorce certificate. It is sealed by certain laws and just a lot of bureaucratic red tape, to be honest. Right now my plan is to present my application without it and cross the divorce certificate bridge if I come to it.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Trust me....they read the documents very carefully. :? Wishing you luck, let us know how it turns out.
TerraLavoro
CarmelaT

Post by CarmelaT »

Hello TerraLavoro --

Was the consulate in Boston satisfied with the Certified and Apostilled divorce certificate, or did they require the entire (in my case many, many, many page) "Judgment of Divorce"? I know that I also have to get the "Certificate of No Appeal." '

Thank you for your asisstance.
TerraLavoro wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 21:14 While I agree with mier in concept, some consular officials...upon seeing "divorced" on the death record of a parent in your "Italian" line, might then ask you for the divorce record.

This happened to friend that I helped who applied at the Boston consulate. You could go to the appointment with the the document in hand...just to see if you are asked for it, or alternatively send it in later...just in case it is required.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Apologies for the delay in my reply. As I recall, the official wanted the entire judgment, with translation. Are you applying in Boston?
TerraLavoro
CarmelaT

Post by CarmelaT »

I’m applying in Boson and this just sent chills over me!
the official wanted the entire judgment
, with translation.

My divorce judgment exceeds 50 pages! Also it is personal. Can this be right? Wouldn’t a properly certified/translated certificate of divorce with Apostille suffice? Also with certificate of no appeal?
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

I wish you luck on your appointment.
The only sure way to know what will ultimately be acceptable to the Boston official is to appear at your appointment, and present your documents. If you present the certificate of divorce (and the letter of "no appeal") and there is no comment from them, then great. Worst that can happen is that they ask you for "more". Let us know how you make out.
TerraLavoro
CarmelaT

Post by CarmelaT »

Thank you.