Great Grandmother a foundling. Used different names in the US

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
chlobutton

Great Grandmother a foundling. Used different names in the US

Post by chlobutton »

Hello all. My name is Carren. I am Italian on both sides. I recently started to research my family with the intention of establishing dual citizenship with the US & Italy. However, I hit a snag and now have a question.

My great grandparents were born in Italy. My great grandmother was a foundling. The name all my US relatives knew her by was Maria Toscano. However, the name on her birth certificate is Cristina DeLuca. I believe she was taken in by the Toscano family, who had a baby die the same year that Cristina was born.

On her marriage certificate to my GGF, she used Cristina DeLuca. It was also on the ship manifest when she came to the US. The problem is, she used different names on the birth certificates of the kids that were born in the US (she had one child in Italy with the correct name, who isn't in my line). Sometimes they weren't one or the other name but a mashup of the names. On my grandfather's birth certificate, her name was listed as Maria Cristinaruca, which I think was meant to be Maria Cristina Deluca, but was somehow messed up.

How do I prove that this is the same person when I am trying to re-establish citizenship?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Great Grandmother a foundling. Used different names in the US

Post by Italysearcher »

The name on the ship manifest was usually taken from the travel document issued by the Comune which would indicate that she was registered with that name in the town office.
There is a document you can get from the town that will confirm these are the same person.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I have had a similar situation. My great grandmother was Carmela Esposito, also a foundling. This is the name that appears on her 1845 birth, 1866 marriage, and 1925 death acts in Italy as well as on her sons Antonio's and Angelo's marriage acts from Italy. Both Antonio and Angelo emigrated to the states as did my grandfather Giuseppe and brother Saverio. On Giuseppe and Saverio's Pennsylvania marriage licenses they list their mother as Carmela Cicco; and on all four brothers Pennsylvania death a acts the mother is shown as Carmela Cicco. Eventually, I learned that as an infant she was taken in and raised by a Cicco family. This was one of the many snags my brother hit when applying for dual citizenship.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
chlobutton

Post by chlobutton »

Italysearcher wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 10:53 The name on the ship manifest was usually taken from the travel document issued by the Comune which would indicate that she was registered with that name in the town office.
There is a document you can get from the town that will confirm these are the same person.
Do you happen to know what the document is called? Can I get it by emailing or would I need to write to the comune?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You can't just ask for the certificate you have to also give the otehr names/birthdates/parents names used.
Certificato di esatta generalità.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.