As an Italian citizen, how should my non-Italian spouse enter Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jsoldi

As an Italian citizen, how should my non-Italian spouse enter Italy

Post by jsoldi »

Hi all,

I am an Italian citizen, married to Peruvian woman with no Italian citizenship or residence. We got married in Peru about 3 years ago, and would like to go live in Italy. So our plan is to go to Italy with her translated birth certificate and marriage papers so we can register our marriage there and get her the citizenship.

But I'm not sure what should she say at the Italian airport. Peru is part of the Schengen agreement, but our original plan was to get one way tickets and tell immigration that we'll do her paperwork right away, which is just the truth. But I read somewhere else that she won't be allowed to enter, even if she shows the translated marriage certificate, if she doesn't have a return ticket.

Does this mean we should actually pretend that she's a tourist with no relation to me and purchase a return ticket? How do people usually do this?
cedrone
Elite
Elite

Re: As an Italian citizen, how should my non-Italian spouse enter Italy

Post by cedrone »

The Schengen agreement concerns many European Countries and has nothing to do with American countries as Perú.
I suppose you have always lived in Perú and asked Italian citizen 'jure sanguinis'.
If you want to come to Italy with your wife that is Peruvian living in Perú you should ask a visa for 'motivi familiari' to the Italian Embassy in Lima, following their indications, then you should ask a 'permesso di soggiorno' in Italy and then she may ask Italian citizenship.
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Re: As an Italian citizen, how should my non-Italian spouse enter Italy

Post by arturo.c »

I am an Italian citizen, married to Peruvian woman with no Italian citizenship or residence. We got married in Peru about 3 years ago, and would like to go live in Italy. So our plan is to go to Italy with her translated birth certificate and marriage papers so we can register our marriage there and get her the citizenship.
Is there a reason why you can't go to the Embassy of Italy in Lima together with your wife, get your marriage registered in Italy through them and obtain a "spouse visa" for her there and then? Surely that would save you a lot of hassle upon your arrival in Italy.