help needed to find where my ancestor came from

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

help needed to find where my ancestor came from

Post by inejenn »

I have tried all sources known to me to try and find my Italian ancesotr Pietro Paulucci, who was born c1760 and came to York in England c1780. It has been suggested I check passenger lists for French ports but I have been unable to find a link for these. I don't know where Pietro came from but have been told it could be Firenze or Lucca, but have no facts to support this. Any help at all woudl be greatly appreciated!!!!! I have found him after 1783 when he got married but he is a mystery before that date!! I have also found several of his descendants who are all experiencing the same frustration in wanting to find where he came from. PLEASE is there someone out there who can help!!!! :?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: help needed to find where my ancestor came from

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
what is written on his marriage record of 1783?
The only records, if available, from that period in Italy, come only from the church (baptism, marriage and funeral church records), and also the handwriting is unreadable, because that's the way it was.
Civil record office in Italy starts officialy on 1865 after the Union of Italy (because it was made by little States).
In south of Italy it starts on 1809 (in the Kingdom of Two Sicilies)
Firenze and Lucca belonged to Granducato di Toscana.
Otherwise the only way to see where he came from is to contact all the priests in Tuscany and see if they can make the research, that sometimes is hard because church records are used by the time or ruined somehow,
good luck
bye Riccardo
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Thank you for the information. Pietro was married in England and his marriage certificate only says he was a batchelor from York. It seems we have drawn a blank and will probably never know where in Italy he came from as I cannot trouble all the priests in Tuscany to find him. Many thanks for the advice anyway.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi,

When doing genealogical research, you start with yoursef & work backwards, getting records on each generation as you go. These records will contain information on the previous generation. In other words, Pietro Paulucci's town of orugin maybe in the records of his sons & daughters.

If you provide the tree to Pietro & where & when he settled in England, we maybe able to locate some info on his descendants.

Hope this helps & let us know

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Thanks for the advice, but I have already worked backwards seven generations from myself and got as far as Pietro. There is no information about him on any of the records other that he came to York c1780 as a merchant trader and moved to Newark where he married in 1783. His marriage and death certificates do not give any more information either, so we have drawn a blank. Not sure if we can go on further as we really have no idea of his birthplace or why he left Italy to go to York. I live near York and have checked the archives there, result nil.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

One of the above replies suggests a way forward is to contact the preists in Tuscany. I now know Pietro came from Lucca, born c1760, can anyone adviseme how I get in touch with priests in that area?

Also, any suggestions as to how he travelled to England?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

inejenn wrote:One of the above replies suggests a way forward is to contact the preists in Tuscany. I now know Pietro came from Lucca, born c1760, can anyone adviseme how I get in touch with priests in that area?

Also, any suggestions as to how he travelled to England?
Hello,
are you sure he was from the town of Lucca, or from the province (area) of Lucca?

This are the churches in Lucca

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... a&ind=&nc=

and these are all the towns belonging to Lucca province (see lista comuni
della provincia)

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/046/index.html

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol: