Does US Naturalization of Ancestor Disqualify Us?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bitterbatter

Does US Naturalization of Ancestor Disqualify Us?

Post by bitterbatter »

Hello,

We are trying to get citizenship through my wife's father's line. Her grandfather Domenico emigrated to the US in 1913, my wife's father Philip was born in 1922, and Domenico naturalized in 1923. So all good there.

But, the naturalization form that Domenico signed states that, "I renounce absolutely and forever all allegiances and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, and particularly to King Emmanuele III of Italy..."

Does that statement disqualify his descendants from Italian citizenship? It seems like everyone seeking US citizenship at that time was required to sign such a statement.

Document is attached - just the right side is relevant.

Thank you all for the help, we really appreciate it.
Joe Zizzo - New York
bitterbatter

Re: Does US Naturalization of Ancestor Disqualify Us?

Post by bitterbatter »

dcapotortonaturalization.jpg
Joe Zizzo - New York
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

Since your wife's father was born before her grandfather naturalized, she is eligible. You will also be eligible, but will have to pass B1 Italian Language testing to get citizenship yourself.
bitterbatter

Post by bitterbatter »

Yes I know that, thank you, the language thing wont be a problem.

But what about the statement renouncing allegiance to Italy? Ive read that's a deal breaker, but I'm not sure if this what is meant by renouncing Italian citizenship.
Joe Zizzo - New York
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

bitterbatter wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 18:52 Yes I know that, thank you, the language thing wont be a problem.

But what about the statement renouncing allegiance to Italy? Ive read that's a deal breaker, but I'm not sure if this what is meant by renouncing Italian citizenship.
It does not apply since your Wife's Father was born before he Naturalized.

As well, there is the 1912 rule, which does not apply either, regardless you have a clear path forward.

You can read ICA's explanation below if that helps:

https://italiancitizenshipassistance.co ... turalized/
bitterbatter

Post by bitterbatter »

Ah, got it , thank you. Very helpful.
Joe Zizzo - New York
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

My father was born in the U.S. before his Sicilian-born father was naturalized as a U.S. citizen.

Does that mean I'm eligible for Italian citizenship but I would have to pass an Italian language test?

If yes, is it written or oral?
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 01:33 My father was born in the U.S. before his Sicilian-born father was naturalized as a U.S. citizen.

Does that mean I'm eligible for Italian citizenship but I would have to pass an Italian language test?

If yes, is it written or oral?
Yes, you are eligible. You will have to prove this of course with supporting documentation.

If you have a spouse, that is interested in obtaining Italian Citizenship, they will have to pass the B1 Level Language test to obtain it, this is not a requirement for the person claiming jure sanguinis, I'm including my Brother and Mother in my petition for example, neither of them can speak Italian nor is it required they do. My spouse however, will have to pass the test to get it through me. We are both in the process of learning Italian however...
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

You may see the program for the certificate of knowledge of italian at this link :
(hoping it works)

https://plida.it/certificazione-plida/1 ... plida.html
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

This certification is issued by the Società Dante Alighieri, the University of Siena, the University of Perugia.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

This certification is issued by the Società Dante Alighieri, the University of Siena, the University of Perugia.
https://plida.it/phocadownload/PDF/Nuov ... 200215.pdf
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

cedrone wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 18:14 This certification is issued by the Società Dante Alighieri, the University of Siena, the University of Perugia.
Yes that is the Certificate. We plan on taking the test through the San Francisco Consulate at some point.

Link below goes into more detail as well:

https://www.italiandualcitizenship.net/ ... rtificate/
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I have my grandfather's actual naturalization certificate and I can get a copy of my father's birth certificate.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I also have a copy of my grandfather's birth record from Sicily and his death certificate from the US. His mother's surname is misspelled on his death certificate. I'm sure I could get other documents to corroborate.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

I just processed my Grandfather's misspelled first name on his Birth Certificate, since he is deceased, a court order was required to correct it. I hired a lawyer that had the petition drafted and approved by a Judge in less than a month, so don't let that be of much concern. Surname's can complicate things as well, but again with records a court order can fix that as well.

Be sure to have (if you already do not) the long form Birth and Marriage records, just request "Dual Citizenship" when ordering these.