Draft dodging ancestor?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie

Draft dodging ancestor?

Post by dannyjosa »

Hello

I was advised b the Consulate that they need to check the law to see if I am eligible for citizenship because my qualifying link with Italy was a draft-dodger! His military record says "dichiarato renitente"...

Has anyone ever experienced this, what is the likelihood of failing to get my claim recognised because my ancestor did this? In theory, they could criminalise or strip the citizenship of someone that did this....Has anyone ever experienced this?

My ancestor was a religious man, a missionary. So, perhaps they can see why he might not have wanted to serve the military...

Thanks!

Danny
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Draft dodging ancestor?

Post by arturo.c »

The fact that your ancestor had not answered the call to arms from the government could be linked to many factors.

Missionaries who served abroad were exempted from the draft, provided that the authorities were duly notified of their situation.

However, the fact that your ancestor was classified as "renitente" from the military authorities should have no bearing on his citizenship, unless he served in the armed forces of another nation. That would have disqualified him and all his descendants.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dannyjosa »

Thanks! Hopefully no problem! He was a Vatican family and served as a protestant missionary, which has partly encouraged the Vatican to refuse to give me his baptism record..Ill keep researching.Thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Was your ancestor the one who came from Italy? Did he naturalize?

I ask because my husband was informed by the consulate that he was classified as a draft dodger. He informed them that he was a naturalized American citizen (providing proof of course) and they removed that classification.

Italy would have no way of knowing if a person was no longer a citizen and, thus, no longer required to serve in the Italian military.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dannyjosa »

My ancestor was classified as a draft dodger in 1872, he was a missionary abroad and didn't naturalise before 1916