Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
greglam

Re: Catholic churches - NYC - Circa 1890

Post by greglam »

newyorker wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 19:22 Thank you - Precious Blood looks promising. Any idea if either one keeps archival records?
You best bet will be to contact the office of the Archdiocese of New York. Tell them what you are looking for, and they can then direct you. Parishes that have been closed ("suppressed") will have their records transferred to another parish designated by the Diocese or to the Diocesan archives itself. If the parish was merged with another parish, and that parish still exists, it is likely those records were transferred to, and are maintained by, the existing parish.

In short, your best bet is to go straight to the top, the Archdiocese, and then let them direct you to where you need to go.

Good luck!
-Greg
BobNY

Post by BobNY »

Here is a transcript of the sacramental record from FindMyPast

First name(s) Giovanna Pasqualina
Last name D'Angelo
Birth year 1888
Birth date 17 Oct 1888
Baptism year 1889
Baptism date 03 Feb 1889
Parish Basilica of St Patrick Old Cathedral
Location Manhattan
County Manhattan
State New York
Country United States
Mother's first name(s) Teresina
Mother's last name Avallone
Father's first name(s) Giuseppe
Father's last name D'Angelo
Archdiocese New York
Record set New York Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Thank you so much for all the help! I had reached out to St. Patricks but they did not answer my email so I am very excited to see that there was a record of her birth. I don't have a membership to FindMyPast (should I? Separate topic!) so I am curious if anyone can suggest the best way to contact the Archdiocese about getting a certified copy of her sacramental record.
greglam

Post by greglam »

newyorker wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 16:32 Thank you so much for all the help! I had reached out to St. Patricks but they did not answer my email so I am very excited to see that there was a record of her birth. I don't have a membership to FindMyPast (should I? Separate topic!) so I am curious if anyone can suggest the best way to contact the Archdiocese about getting a certified copy of her sacramental record.
Archives of the Archdiocese
(914)476-6333

Good luck!
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Thank you!!
BobNY

Post by BobNY »

[/quote]

Archives of the Archdiocese
(914)476-6333

Good luck!
[/quote]

:roll:

NO!
NO!
NO!
The Archdiocese, as a general rule, does not have sacramental records. Neither the Chancery Office in Manhattan nor the Archives in Yonkers will have the cert that the OP seeks. The baptismal register from which the information on the baptismal cert is drawn resides with St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, as I wrote above.

This is how the OP should proceed . . .

I always recommend contacting RC churches by telephone or by mail. Since you now know the exact baptismal date, you might want to call the St. Patrick's rectory (212-226-8075) and ask if they have a fixed fee for copies of baptismal certificates or if they have a "suggested donation."
With that answer in hand, send your request by USPS (return receipt requested) giving ALL the relevant information: name, date, parent names, etc. ro St. Patrick's. Leave the Archdiocese out of this -- not their job. After 2 weeks has gone by, and it usually will, give them a follow-up call. I have not dealt personally with Old St. Patrick's, but the Churches I have dealt with are overwhelmed and understaffed. It may take some persistence and perseverance

I am not quite sure what you mean by a "certified copy." What you will receive is a extract from the baptismal register on a pre-printed form with the Church's official seal. Let us know how you fare.