Father's birth certificate is wrong

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Father's birth certificate is wrong

Post by JSaccaro »

I have been trying to get all my birth, marriage, death certificates together so I can apply for dual citizenship. Last week I found my fathers birth certificate and it's wrong. In the space requesting the fathers date of birth, they have the wrong year. He was born 8 years before that date. My questions are:

Is this a problem? And if it is, can I get it changed if my grandfather and father have both passed away? If I can get it changed, does anyone know who I would contact?

Thanks for the help!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Father's birth certificate is wrong

Post by VaDeb »

That will depend on the state that provided the birth certificate. Each state has their own laws on correcting vital records - especially the records of deceased individuals. Is you father's mother still alive?

Debbie
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

She is still alive. Would she need to request a corrected birth certificate for my father?

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Generally the request is made by the closest relative in a position to know the actual date of birth. But VaDeb is correct in that each state handles such errors differently. In some states it may be impossible to make such a change (I believe NY is one of them).

However, it is likely you have other documents that can demonstrate his true date of birth. You probably have his marriage and death certificates, and both would include his date of birth. In this case, a baptismal certificate and social security card would also be helpful in demonstrating that the date on the birth certificate is incorrect.

If the date on the birth certiificate (8 years later than your father's actual date of birth) is after your grandfather was naturalized, the consulate is likely to look at your documents with a great deal of scrutiny, so the more documentation you have, the better.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Thanks for the info Mler.

My grandfather wasn't the one to be naturalized. It was his father. His father filled out a Dec. of Intent right before my grandfather was born but to my knowledge he never became a citizen. It does concern me because even though I don't have a record of him not becoming a citizen, it doesn't mean he never did. It's likely that my great grandfather would have became a citizen in that 8 year difference.

I have my grandfathers death certificate, batismal certificate and will be getting his marriage certificate this afternoon.

If for some reason my father's birth certificate can't be changed to reflect my grandfather's true date of birth would that somehow disqualify me from gaining citizenship?

If my father's birth certificate can be changed who would the State consider the closest relative, his mother or his daughter? Or would either relative work in this case.

Thanks for the info.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Changing information on a historical vital record is going to be very state specific. Us, guessing at state rules will not help you. Go to your state's vital record page and see if they have informaiton on correcting a vital record. If not, call the main office and ask for written copy of the rules.

The mother will be the best to provide a sworn statement of correct date of birth with supporting documents. This is IF you state will allow the correction. Your father's daughter (or you the son) can not make a sworn statement regarding the correct date of father's birth. You were not alive at the time of the birth to have first hand knowledge to testify to the fact. You can only gather supporting documentation.

If your state allows the birth record to be corrected, I personally would do it while the mother was still alive to facilitate the correciton. Never know what the future holds and if a correct birth record may be needed for something.

As Myler pointed out, there may be ways around the birth record for citizenship purposes.

Debbie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Since your great grandfather filed a Declaration of Intent, it is likely he obtained citizenship five years later, which would fall within the eight-year period. Making a change in an "historical" record is often difficult, so check with your state's vital records as soon as possible to see what you can do.

I notice that although you have documents for your grandfather (including baptismal certificate), you do not have your grandfather's birth certificate. I think this is the document you really need. With your grandfather's birth certificate showing his true date of birth, the discrepancy on your father's certificate can be clearly recognized as a simple error in transcription.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi,

I don't know if this will shed some light on your problem. In Jersey, my aunt as well as my dad had their birth names and dates recorded wrong.

Vitals in Trenton, stated that in order to change to correct date/name you will need your baptism record from the church in which they were baptized along with a close relative "as stated above", mother, sister etc. They then issued a corrected one in which is attached to original in Trenton Vitals.

Look up state page as requested, if need be, call the churches in which they attended. In most cases, they could have been baptised in another church close to where they were living when born, not where they grew up and attended mass or religion classes.

My aunt/dad were baptised in another church, although they went to another one all their lives and married there also.

Good luck!

Ally
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JSaccaro »

Thanks for the information Ally and Mler.

Mler - About my grandfather's birth certificate... I sent off for it and they sent me an application for a Delayed Birth Certificate since they couldn't find his original birth certificate. To obtain the delayed BC I will need three forms stating his date of birth. This is where my father's birth certificate would have come in handy for me and it was then I noticed the wrong birthdate for my grandfather. Do youknow if the Delayed Birth Certificate will work for my citizenship since they can't locate the original? The application form looks exactly like a birth certificate that you would see today.

I also just received my grandparents marriage certificate but it doesn't have his date of birth on it. I did, however, find the correct parish of their marriage and I will call tomorrow and see if they maybe still have the marriage application. I'll also ask about his birth certificate. I know it's a long shot that they may hold the information that I need, but you never know, right?

I will contact Louisiana Vital Records tomorrow about the error on my father's birth certificate and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will be a fairly simple process.

Julie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

From the expats site.........

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... dates.html

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Great article Lisa! Just found out my grandfathers birth certificate has another date on it then what we always believed as well! I think its because he wasn't registered right away...many of my cousins have the same issue. Didn't think it important...until now.

What a mess this can be!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Many Italian birth certificates list a birth date several days later than the actual date of birth, and as Nuccia points out, this was often because the midwife delayed registering the birth.

JSaccaro's problem is more serious because she doesn't actually have a birth certificate for her grandfather (at least not yet), and his birth date is listed incorrectly on his son's birth certificate (an 8-year discrepancy). This would not be a big problem except for the absence of the grandfather's birth certificate.

Hope it all works out.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I never realized how informative the expats site is.....they have great articles on such a wide variety of issues.

As for dual citizenship.......I know my mother wants me to get started on hers ASAP.......but finding my Nonni and Nonno's marriage certificate is going to present a challenge....... :?

Lisa