marriage records for grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

marriage records for grandfather

Post by drovedo »

I am applying for Italian Citizenship through my Great Grandfather because my grandfather was born here but grew up in Italy.

I requested and received my grandfather's "atti di matrimonio" (marriage certificate) from the UFFICIO DELLO STATO CIVILE. It was titled, "Estratto per Riassunto Dal Registro Per Gli Atti Di Matrimonio Per L'Anno 1920." However, it does not contain any info on his parents or witnesses for that matter.

Is there another document in which I should request in order to obtain this info (like his parents residence) that would be related to my grandfather's marriage and from where?

I have the names and approximate dates of birth of my great grandparents from my grandfather's Italian Military Draft Record, ship manifests, and his US Baptismal Record. My grandfather is listed as an Italian citizen on his ship manifest, not that helps me. If I had his passport than I wouldn't have to research further.

The Ship Manifests for my great grandfather and Grandfather say their residence was Meduno and that is what my family has told me where they come from.

However, the Commune of Meduno emailed me that there is no record of my great grandfather's residence nor my grandfather's.

I received from Homeland Security a record of nonexistence of naturalization for both my grandfather and great grandfather. I have also sent recently for a possible Italian Draft Record for my great grandfather.

One of my aunts did visit my great grandfather during the early 1950's in Italy. She believes that it was in Meduno, but wasn't sure because she is old and her memory is fading.

I would think that a Marriage Record different than what I received which lists the parents birthplace and residence would be a better avenue to pursue than the Italian Military Draft Record.

I have read that Italian Marriage Documents are supposed contain such information in Banns, etc. However, I don't know how to obtain them and I don't know what they are called in Italian.

From Ship Manifests and my grandmother's marriage to my grandfather I do know her birthplace. I don't know whether their would be any record for marriage in that commune.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
mler
Master
Master

Re: marriage records for grandfather

Post by mler »

Try reposting this question in the Italian Genealogy forum.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nello-LosAngeles »

Hello Drovedo,

You are ahead of me in the process for dual citizenship. Maybe we can help eachother.
Re: your marriage certificate-- my information says ask for "formato internazionale" or " estratto per riassunto" (showing parent names).
I also see an "Atto di Solenne Promessa di Matrimonio" which should have the same information as the Atto di Matrimonio. It sound like you received
a short extract.

Here is question for you. You recieved a No record found from Immigration. What else do we need when they where not Natualized in the USA. I just read somethig that say I also need his Italian Passport and US alien registration Card. Do myou know anything abot this.
Nello
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

the best place i have found to get the town of your ancestor is the catholic chruch here. If they were married here it says on the parish records. I hope they were marred, here, if not you can write to the parish they were married at in Italy, but a catch 22 here, if you don't know how can you find out?
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

the best place i have found to get the town of your ancestor is the catholic chruch here. If they were married here it says on the parish records. I hope they were marred, here, if not you can write to the parish they were married at in Italy, but a catch 22 here, if you don't know how can you find out?