Regaining Italian citizenship after naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mcno

Regaining Italian citizenship after naturalization

Post by mcno »

It appears as though my grandfather may have naturalized but then returned to Italy for a significant period of time. While in Italy, he married my grandmother. After a few months, together they returned to the US. My understanding is that residing in Italy for one year is sufficient reinstate a former citizenship (approximately 1920). Is this correct? If so, would this have required a formal request? How can this be established? Was there an immigration process in Italy for returning citizens? Would he have been required to register with any comune or agency?

For purposes of establishing citizenship, would this have been sufficient to then pass citizenship to my subsequently-born father, who never renounced, and then to me?

Also, he married an Italian national -- I understand that women were granted citizenship automatically through marriage. Not men?

Finally, is there any hope to receiving citizenship through my citizen-grandmother and american-born father (born before 1948)?

Thanks for any help!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Regaining Italian citizenship after naturalization

Post by mler »

You have two possibilities, but unfortunately, neither will work. Regaining citizenship lost to naturalization through residency is, I believe, part of the 1992 citizenship law. This would not have applied to your grandfather because dual citizenship was not permitted before 1992. If your grandfather had indeed reinstated his Italian citizenship, he would have lost his American citizenship. Thus he was not Italian when your father was born and could not pass citizenship to him.

Women were not permitted to pass citizenship before 1948. Since your father was born before that date, he could not obtain citizenship through her.

However, even if you do not qualify for citizenship jure sanguinis, you are within the two degrees required to obtain citizenship by residing in Italy for three years. You must notify the consulate of your intent to do so and also provide doumentation of your Italian connection.