Naturalization Documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LvItalian1979

Naturalization Documents

Post by LvItalian1979 »

Does anybody know the best and quickest way to get Naturalization Documents. I am not sure if my Great-Grandfather ever got Naturalized here in the US. And if he did I need to find out when. Any help would be great!

Thanks
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Naturalization Documents

Post by peggymckee »

This response assumes that you want to apply for dual citizenship.

Before you spend a lot of time & money searching for documents, you might want to check that you are qualified. From your other posts, it appears that you are claiming citizenship from great grandfather to grandmother to your parent to you.

Here's a quote from the Philadelphia Consultate website
http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/Con ... tadinanza/
Italian citizenship is based upon the principal of ius sanguinis (blood right), meaning the child born of an Italian father or mother is also an Italian citizen. You must keep in mind that it was not possible for an Italian mother to transfer Italian citizenship to her child until January 1, 1948 in accordance with a specific sentence issued by the Constitutional Tribunal. Before January 1, 1948, Italian citizenship was transferred to a child ONLY by the father.
Was your parent born 1 Jan 1948 or after?

This is a good discussion group for understanding who qualifies and who does not:
http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewforum.php?f=1

Good luck! Peggy M
LvItalian1979

Post by LvItalian1979 »

Yes, my mom was but she was close she was born Jan 13, 1948. I made sure I qualified before doing all this. And I do if I can find out if and when my great grandfather was naturalized. No one really knows. thanks for the responses.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

My suggestion then is that you post on the Genealogy section of this board, a request for information about your greatgrandfather. Give his full name, and as much as you know about him, e.g. where he lived etc.

I would be very surprised if you don't learn something useful. Good luck! Peg
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

One other thought--given your great-grandfather's age, I don't think you need a death certificate to file a G-639. See the following:

http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.p ... hlight=100

Peg
LvItalian1979

Post by LvItalian1979 »

Thanks for all the information. You have been very helpful.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You may also want to do a search through www.ancestry.com You may be able to quickly determine if/and when your great grandfather naturalized as well as his petition number. Look for census records and the social security death indices.
daenamousso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daenamousso »

How would one go about finding naturalization documents. I am not applying for citizenship, just trying to get the information contained and use as source documents. :D
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

the only way I know is to go through the national archives. I like the regional offices, you can get a responce within several days. I would be very very helpfull if you knew where he may have naturalized.\

When going though the natualizion documents you need to use the soundex number. If you don't know what it is I suggest doing a google search on soundex number.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

the only way I know is to go through the national archives. I like the regional offices, you can get a responce within several days. I would be very very helpfull if you knew where he may have naturalized.\

When going though the natualizion documents you need to use the soundex number. If you don't know what it is I suggest doing a google search on soundex number.
daenamousso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daenamousso »

Thanks for the tip. Do you know where the regional National Archives offices are located?
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

you can look on the web

http://www.archives.gov/locations/
Paul_NL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Paul_NL »

I sended you an email Corrado.

I know a adress in Italy that has helped me and a friend of mine in finding the birth-certificate of someone in Italy. It´s costing 120 euro´s and it takes about 5/6 months
daenamousso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daenamousso »

I did a search on google and found the National Archives and Records administration. WIth a little information, $10 and in 3 days I was holding a copy of the actual document my grandfather signed to become a US citizen. Thanks for the help!