How long did it take to come over from Italy to the US?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

How long did it take to come over from Italy to the US?

Post by angelamascia »

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to find out how long it took to come from Sorrento or Napoli, Italy to Ellis Island on the ship Burgundia in the year 1887. As arrival date in Ellis Island I have November 10/13th, 1887.

Can someone tell me how long the trip would have taken? Many things depend on the length of the trip for the research I am currently doing.

Thank you for all your responses!

Angela
Surnames: Mascia, Iapozzuto, Piacquadio, Iacobacci
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: How long did it take to come over from Italy to the US?

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Angela,

I can only relate my grandfather's experience since we have copies of his boarding ticket from 1906 for the Sicilian Prince out of the port of Naples. He boarded on 24 April 1906 at Naples and the ship made stops at Messina and Palermo with arrival at New York 11 May 1906. I've included the image of his boarding ticket. Note that the month of embarkation is incorrect. It should be 4 (Apr) not 3 (Mar). Ticket states trip duration to be 16 days.
Giuseppe Epifano Biglietto d'Embarco

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Hello Biff,

I noticed that trips taken after 1900 and around the time your grandfather came over took less time, of course. Therefore, I am wondering if a trip in 1887, which is almost 20 years prior to your grandfather's trip took much longer or if the difference was insignificant, i.e. instead of two weeks perhaps one month??

Thank you though for sharing your grandfather's information.

Angela
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Some information on the Burgundia

BURGUNDIA
SS Burgundia, built in 1882 for the Fabre Line by S. & H. Morton & Co., Leith, Scotland. 2,817 tons; 328 feet long x 40 feet broad; straight bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 11 knots. 15 February 1883, maiden voyage, Marseilles-Catania-Palermo-Naples-Gibraltar-New York. December 1905, sold; scrapped at Marseilles [Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor,North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (Prescott, Lancashire: T. Stephenson & Sons., 1955), pp. 385 and 666].Pictured in Michael J. Anuta, Ships of Our Ancestors (Menominee, MI: Ships of Our Ancestors, 1983; reprint Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., [1993]), p. 38, courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer - 21 July 1997]
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Hey Biff,

Yes, thank you for the information on the Burgundia. I was able to find most of it but at this point I'm guessing that it could have taken longer than 2 weeks to come over. Nevertheless, I don't assume it could have taken more than 1, 2 or even 3 months.

Thanks again,

Angela