1880 ships to Boston from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Elaine Shuman

1880 ships to Boston from Italy

Post by Elaine Shuman »

According to my g grandfather's naturalization papers he arrived in Boston on Sept 8 1880. He would have been 8 years old (born Dec 1872). I checked with the Mass archives for ships that came in on this day and they said none came from Italy. I have heard that the last name FILAMOND is not his real last name. My plan was to search the passenger lists for 8 year old boys with the name of Sylvester. Also according to the naturalization papers, he was born in Taurasi, Italy.

I need some suggestions at to where to go next to get his real name and the passenger ship he came on.

thank you
Elaine
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The best thing to do is go to the Mormon church Family History Library and request NARA Microfil #265 (consists of 282 rolls) and since you know the year or appoximate year of arrival a little research will do you good. This microfilm series coveers Boston arrival from 1848 to 1891. If you happen to know the name of the ship please let me know since we can ascertain the exact date of arrival. Peter
donmarap
Rookie
Rookie

Post by donmarap »

:)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Name changes took place when immigrants took their place in the social fabric of the USA after entry. Italian immigrants presented validItalian government documents such as passports and other documents to US Immigration which were written into ledgers. It is a myth that Immgrants names were summarily changed at that point of entry. Changes have taken place in recent times when immmigration records were transcribed for the computers and errors in typing have occurred sdince the manifestrs when checked were accurate and the computer in error!. There is a listing for one Deidamia Filamonde who enetered the USA in 1906 at NYC from Rome, Italy. She was Italian but her ships manifest was not available and no further checks can be made. There are no Filamond nor Filamonde in Italy but , as you know there are4 Filamond in the USA> I suspect that the name was irginally Filamonde but changes to Filamond. The Ship Allerton remains elusive and I expect that when you receive the form 81 back from NARA that matter and the matter of Sylvesters entry will be rersolved. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

P.S. If you go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm you can obtain a copy of form 81. I am still researching for the ship Allerton and when I do locate the ship I will notify you if I am successful. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There does not appear to be a record of the SS allerton that I can verify ofr you. Just what document do you have that cites the Allerton as the ship that landed in Boston? Peter
donmarap
Rookie
Rookie

Post by donmarap »

The SS ALLERTON was the ship my grandfather came here on
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Yes M'am and they have chock full of records. from past experience with a person who had relatives and obtained all the info from the railroad board. I will have to go into the internet and if you wish to do the same it may be worthwhile since they have the same info as the social security people. As for the Allerton, It either sank, was renamed or sold for some purpose since there is not even a record of the ship!!!!!!!! Does the picture of the ship give the shipping line that owned it?? Please let me know as I have an extensive collection of ship sites and have been unsuiccessful to datew. Peter
donmarap
Rookie
Rookie

Post by donmarap »

The picture I have is rather fuzzy and it appears to be a freighter type of
ship.

I don't know why my uncle was issued his ss# by the railroad board? He must have worked for a railroad? I'm stumped because this fact is something I just found out about.

I searched GOOGLE and they didn't have much info on allerton, mainly it contained info about a man with that name.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your uncle was issued his card instead of a social security card. The railroad employees were expemt from social security in favor of their own retirement system at the time social security was set up. It may very well be that the ship was a freighter and not a passenger liner in which case there would be no passenger list to speak of. He may have come in as a crewman. Look for the Railroad retirement board in the internet. I will also look. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Got it! go to www.rrb.gov and when the page comes up click on the genealogy requests which should be about the middle of the page. Peter
donmarap
Rookie
Rookie

Post by donmarap »

THANKS! :) Another source to check out!

I will do that.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There may be a fee but I am not sure. In any event the information is the samer as they have in Social Security which has ll the vital data. Peter
rambobr1

Post by rambobr1 »

Hy, , I hope someone can help me. I am searching my Italian genealogy. My great grandfather was Italian and came to Brazil. I´d like someone that knows people with surname Arthuzo, Arthusi, Arthuzo, Artuzo inform me about him (his name was Evaristo and lived in italy, until 1890, in Padova region. He came to Brazil - São Paulo state and arrived at the Santos port about 1888 and 1892 :lol:
E-mail: marcrambo@ig.com.br
Thanks
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

please repost your inquiry you are coming in on another persons inquiry. Sorry but you have to start over. Peter