Guglielmino/Caruso Families

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mooney

Guglielmino/Caruso Families

Post by Mooney »

Trying to locate my ancestors from Victoria, Sicily. Father was Giovanni Guglielmino. Mother Giuseppina Caruso. Any Help welcome.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 18 persons in Vittoria, Provincia Ragusa, Postal code 97019 surnamed Guglielmino. Since your objective is to locate relative the best thing to do is start with your immigrating ancestor and work backwards thru the ellisisland.org records for what you know. Insofar as relatives who exist today in Voittoria, the best thing to do is write one generic letter in Italian or very simple english and enclose a self addressed envelope with a dollar inside for stamps to enhance a reply. In the letter ask them if they are related to you and your parents. You can always requests documents for your family when you have full names and date s of birth. Peter
JRaffa

Post by JRaffa »

Funny enough that my grandparents were born in Vittoria Sicily and I have claimed my Italian citizenship from the Comune of Vittoria two years ago. If your search in the Comune di Vittoria for birth, marriage or death certificates isn't successful I would suggest that you write a letter to the Parrochial (main cathedral) where they keep alot more records dating back to the year 1600. I was successful in locating alot of information from them. I don't have that information at hand but will forward it you shortly...

Best of luck
Joe
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Civil records such as birth,marriage,death and family certificates can be obtained dating back to the early 1800's . Joe is right that church records go back from that point to the early 1600 as a resulkt of the Council of Trent when records became mandatory. Chuirch records by mail are not easy so having Joe's experience is valuable since he know his way around the churches in Vittoria Peter