Antonio Brunetti Ship Manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Antonio Brunetti Ship Manifest

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Ziabella I do not know how well you read and write Italian so I do not want to insult your intellectual prowess but I do not want to overlook the obvious by referring you to a companion book to records and microfilm records in Italian titled Discovering Your Italian anestors by Lynn Nelson which may be helpful. Tante belle cose. =Peter=
Peter..you are so right! This is one of the most helpful books I have ever read. I have been looking over microfilms for about a year and after obtaining a copy of the book, things make more sense. I have several friends that read Italian..but the "now" Italian. Reading the handwriting for a hundred years ago can be a bit overwhelming depending on who wrote the records and if it was all handwritten. Another very helpful book would be Italian Records by Tradford Cole. I think the two go hand in hand and are a must read for anyone just starting out with researching their family history.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
amkratzsch

Post by amkratzsch »

So I have randomly stumbled upon this thread searching for my Great-Great-Grandfather Leonardo D'Aloia........!!!!!! That's right! My great-great-grandfather is the man you mentioned earlier in this thread with whom your Donato Brunetti stayed and possibly lived with. I think I can give you some information you may not know. One might ask why I'm excited to see this thread, and how this is relevant to Donato. Well as you know Leonardo and Donato are/were brother-in-laws. I have been researching the D'Aloia branch of my family tree for quite some time and I always get stuck at Leo. Don't worry, I'm getting to the Donato part. :) So yesterday I checked the mail and I had a letter from my aunt with what I thought was a thank you card, but in fact were a few pictures and a short note.

"Uncle Dwight [who is my great-uncle] gave me two copies of these photos so I wanted to send you a set. Leonardo D'Aloia was Mimi's [my grandmother] grandfather. [Here's where it gets good!] The Brunetti's agreed to stay together in Italy and America. So Leonardo's sister [Dominica Maria D'Aloia] married a Brunetti, and Leonardo married a Brunetti, [my great-great grandfather] Giovanna Maria Brunetti."

So I look at the pictures and guess who is 'featured'? Leo, who I believe is standing next to either Giovanna or Dominica, and DONATO!!! Actually the name on the back reads, "Donato Antonio Brunetti (Little Mussolini)" I'm not sure what 'Little Mussolini' is all about, a nickname or family name I suppose. So my plan is to scan these pictures into my computer....that is as soon as I find my missing scanner cord....and send you a copy of this photo. Maybe I'm more excited than you, but this was the first time I've seen photos of Leo and I can't express who awesome it is to have them.

Alright, I've babbled enough. Hope this helped??? :)

Happy Hunting,

Alan
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I love it when family finds each other on the forum. Congratulations.

Elizabeth
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Hello my cousin Alan!

Actually I'm the one who sent those photos to Dwight and Carmella.

We've been talking since we found each other on another genealogy site.

You may be interested to know that there is a missmark on one of the photos. The very small photo with the girl in the middle is not our family. I have no idea who they are. However the rest is family! So I'm very happy to have shared the information with you! I'm also thrilled to meet another family member!

I've been researching the Italian records at the Family History Center in Worcester, MA. I have copies of Leonardo and Giovanna's wedding banns and marriage certificate. I have attached a copy of the wedding banns to this post. I hope you can read Italian! I don't have an electronic copy of the marriage certificate, but I have mailed copies to your uncle Dwight Smith in Milford, MA. I'm not sure where you live, but if you are local you are welcome to visit the Family History Center to look at the microfilm with our ancestors reocords if you like. They will be there until the first week of March, but I can easily file and extention if you are interested. I will be researching further back into the family line in the next few weeks.

Nice to "meet" you! Keep in touch!

Your cousin, Joanna
- What cannot be achieved in one lifetime will happen when one lifetime is joined to another.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

OH! By the way! For your family tree update... my great grandfather's real true Italian name was Donatantonio Brunetti. Giovanna's real name was Maria Giovanna Brunetti. Their parents were Matteo Brunetti and Rafaella Iacovelli. Leonardo's parents were Pietro D'Aloia and Filomena Palmieri.

Ciao!
- What cannot be achieved in one lifetime will happen when one lifetime is joined to another.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

It looks like the attachment didn't work. :oops: You may email me at the link below and I'll respond with the pdf file of Leonardo and Giovanna's Wedding Banns from Italy.
amkratzsch

Post by amkratzsch »

Wow what a small world. Thanks for those pictures! :) I sent you and e-mail explaining where I fall on the family tree. Thank you again!!
misterbill

Post by misterbill »

Hello- I found the site while starting a genealogoy search--quite lucky to find it.
My grandfather was Leonardo Daloia (Deloia). That would make me the great granduncle of the young lady who posted above.
I live in Georgia, but I was born and raised in MA. My mom was Louise Millette (Deloia). I had a raft of cousins in Milford and Hopedale and Providence.
Somewhere around 25 years of age I let myself drift away from the family. Really away--- I did not see many members for years until my mother's funeral. My Uncles were/are, Micky, Matty, Pat and Willy. My aunts were/are Josie and Marie. Aunt Fannie died in a hotel fire in Boston many years ago.
I guess when one gets older, the desire to know more about your ancestors gets stronger. I know nothing about my Dad's relatives. All of our visitiing was with the Deloia clan. Aunt Marie was Marie Mello (Ay querida!), Aunt Josie was DeCotis. I welcome any and all information about Grandpa Leonardo and Grandma. I never knew her. I was told she passed away young from cancer.
When I was a boy, I shaved Grandpa with a straight razor and he gave me a nickel. He used to puff on Parodi stogies!
The memories have been coming back recently.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Small small world it is!

Zio!!!

Well I have a few pictures of Leonardo D'Aloia you might like to see. I thought I saw a cigar in his hand! I sent you a private post with my contact information. Please keep in touch!

Very nice to "Meet" you!

Cent'anni!

Joanna
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

I have a correction to share with you along with more information about the family tree.

Maria Giovanna Brunetti's parents were:
Matteo Brunetti & Maria Filomena Palmieri, Married 4-28-1876

Leonardo D'Aloia's parents were:
Pietro D'Aloia & Raffaela Iacovelli

I had the wives reversed! OOPS!

I have new information to share:

Matteo Brunetti's parents were:
Donatantonio Brunetti & Teresangela Flocco
Married: 9-24-1848
Location of Marriage: Casalvecchio di Puglia, Foggia, Italy

Matteo's Wife Maria Filomena Palmieri's parents were:
Vincenzo Palmieri & Maria Giovanna Tosches
Married: 1-31-1847
Location of Marriage: Casalvecchio di Puglia, Foggia, Italy

Pietro D'Aloia's father was Nicola D'Aloia
Pietro's wife Raffaela Iacovelli's father was Francesco Iacovelli
(I'm still searching for the details)

The search continues....
amkratzsch

Post by amkratzsch »

man, i don't know how you people can find all this information. maybe i'm just not looking in the right spots. i hit brick walls all over my family tree. thank you so much for all of the time you have been putting into your/our family tree. any pointers as to where to look or where not to look? i always seem to encounter the most problems with finding information about those who have immigrated into the country and their families back home.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Hi Alan,

Are you looking for more than just Italian records?

This forum is very helpful. The best way to get help here is to post a seperate topic thread for each family grouping. It's best to post with the family members name in the subject line. Then put details in the body of the message.

The state archives where the ancestors you are researching is a good place to start. Since you grew up in MA you'll want to visit the Massachusetts State Archives in Boston, MA next to the JFK Library. Here is where you would start to find out if they have what you're looking for.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ARC/arcgen/genidx.htm

They are great for naturalization and military records. I've also found information at the Worcester County Court House. Of course the Town or City Hall of the place the ancestor lived is good to visit. The Census records can be useful too.

How did it go at the Family History Center?
amkratzsch

Post by amkratzsch »

Life has been hectic for the past few weeks so I haven't been able to do much of my own research. I did try to go to the Family Research Center a few weeks ago during the hours that were posted for that center, but when I got there the doors were locked. The next time I plan on going I will make sure to call the center before I head out.

I actually grew up in Maine although most of my father's side is currently living in the South Shore of MA. I do know Boston though as I lived in Quincy for 6 years, but I never thought in all of that time, to go to the Archives. Hmm....I wonder why not?

If I have any questions about other branches of my tree or different people I will make sure to make a new forum with their name(s) in the title. Thank you so much for the few more pieces that have been provided by everyone in this thread. I am always excited to recieve new information, or information confirming my own research.

Thanks again,

Alan