Borreli Surname in Puerto Rico

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jborreli

Borreli Surname in Puerto Rico

Post by jborreli »

Mi name is Jaime Borreli born in Puerto Rico, Son of Herminio Borreli(1945-1991). According to US census records there are Borreli's born in Puerto Rico in the 1880,s. I searched the Ellis Island records and I was not able to find any Borreli,Borrelli,Borelli, etc. arriving there before 1880 so I assume the Borreli's arrived first to Puerto Rico and later to the mainland (USA) since Puerto Rico is an american territory. Are there any records showing trips from Italy to the Caribbean?? Maybe to Puerto Rico??
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Borreli Surname in Puerto Rico

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I don't know if you have checked Castle Garden for manifests. This was where immigrants landed before Ellis Island opened. A quick look showed the name in 1860-80. You may want to explore this source further.

http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html ... tarts&LNM=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jaime There is a Spanish Governors list for the period prior t0 1880 in Puerto Rico at http://www.archives.gov/research/guide- ... s/186.html that may direct your efforts. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

....Further to the above website. I recall reading that there is an archive soemwhere in Spain of all non-spanish immigrants to Spanish colonies including Puerto Rico under the "Cedula de Gracias" decree encouraging non Spanish immigrants to Spanish possessions in the remaining colonies of the Spanish empire. I assisted another person seeking similar information but I cannot recall the depository city in Spain. Sorry. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You may wish to consider sending an e-mail to the Instituo Cultural de Puerto Rico at www@KP.gobierno.PR and refer this matter to them. =Peter=
jborreli

Post by jborreli »

Thanks for your help. I just did some more research (ancestry.com) and found that there are Borreli's born in Puerto Rico back in 1835 described as Mulatto. I did the same search in "Castle Garden " and showed no records before 1860. There are a lot of italian surnames in the Guayanilla area wich at the time was a port of entry in the southwest of PR. Historians tell that the town of San German move there (To Guayanilla) to be closer to sea. I just want to find out how long the surname has been in P.R. since my father and granfather were born in Guayanilla. I will try to get some information from the local government.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The Mormon Church has some records for Guayanilla.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... uerto+rico
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The e-mail address www@k P Gobierno.PR for the Instituto Culturale de Puerto Rico is not functioning as I tried to find the Spain depository for the Cedula de las Gracias archives in Spain. Should you happen to come across that information please let me know so that i can make a permanent record. Thanks =Peter=
jborreli

Post by jborreli »

ok!!
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

PeterTimber wrote:The e-mail address www@k P Gobierno.PR for the Instituto Culturale de Puerto Rico is not functioning
Do you mean the Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña? The website is http://www.icp.gobierno.pr/ and the email address is at the bottom of the webpage.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Peter,
I am not sure, but is this the web address you are looking for?

http://www.icp.gobierno.pr/
jborreli

Post by jborreli »

I just found some records from a church in Sabana Grande Puerto Rico stating that the first father from Puerti Rico was Martín Antonio Borreli. The first marriage signed by him was in 1813!!
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

JBorreli:

Don't know if the following link will help in your search but it's worth exploring.
Foreigners in Puerto Rico, ca. 1807 - 1880
http://www.candoo.com/genresources/puer ... Foreigners

María, puertorriqueña de pura cepa :-)
jborreli

Post by jborreli »

Hola María: Gracias por el "link". En realidad lo que me intriga es saber cuanto tiempo llevan los Borreli en Puerto Rico. Martín Antonio no es un nombre Italiano y para el 1813 ya era el primer parroco de la Iglesi San Isidro Labarador. Sabana Grande era parte de el gran poblado de San German asi que no se si vino directamente a Sabana Grande para dirigir la Iglesia pero mi impresion es que nacio en Puerto Rico.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Maria and mr Borreli one of you is my hero and the other is my model!!!!!=Peter=