Anyone got an answer to this?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roberto1

Anyone got an answer to this?

Post by roberto1 »

My grandpa came over from Italy in 1920. My dad was born in Italy in 1925. My grandpa naturalized in 1928 and petition for my grandma, uncle and dad. My dad, grandma and his now 3 other siblings finally came over in 1936 (they were turned them away in 1935 because he had a broken arm and had to make the trip back).

My dads name was totally different on the petition than his italian birth certificate and the DOB was too. My grandma's name was totally different as well. My grandma had to naturalized on her own in 1953 for whatever reasons and my dad in 1963 (five years after my birth) had to get a certificate of citizenship. His other Italian born siblings had to do similar things as well to prove they belonged here.

My grandpa collected a WWI disabilty pension from the Italian Army until he died and I was wondering if there was any chance in claiming that due to my dad not being named and all the other confusion he never renounced his birth right to italy. My dad had problems with his name and birth date right up until he retired. Any input?
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anyone got an answer to this?

Post by federici1999 »

I'am going through the citizenship myself right now. I am just having all my english documents translated to Italian. I think you should get a copy of your fathers birth certificate from Italy and in the margin of the certificate they usually put a note if he gave up his italian citizenship. At this time I would believe you could qualify under your father. If he was naturalized after you were born there should be no problem. Since the US made him go through Naturalization in 63 I would believe they didn't think that was him on your grandfathers naturalization papers. Also I would write and get a copy of my fathers naturalization papers so you can see exactly what was written on them. If you live up north you can inquire from the national archive rather than homeland security. Let me know if you need there address.
Bob