emigration to england

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gillianbuckley

emigration to england

Post by gillianbuckley »

I am trying to find to find out when my grandfather FIORE SARTOR & his siblings emigrated to England. I think it was around 1920 but I am not 100% sure. Can anyone help?
at present I am trying to trace the Secchi family from secchi di morfasso near piacenza. Also tracing Sartor family from near Udine in NW Italy.
Emmy
Master
Master

Re: emigration to england

Post by Emmy »

Sad to say it seems that there are very few records for Italians emigrating to England. From my own search I do know for certain that in the late 1800's it is almost impossible to trace their journey to England it seems that they didnt require to keep records at that time, perhaps it was because it would only be a short crossing unlike going to USA. If they had been going to USA you would have been able to check the ships manifests.
Very annoying isnt it!!
Good Luck
Emmy
gillianbuckley

Post by gillianbuckley »

thanks for the encouragement.
Trying to access the National Archive records is prooving very difficult as there maybe some info there but I cant give up now can I? Gill
at present I am trying to trace the Secchi family from secchi di morfasso near piacenza. Also tracing Sartor family from near Udine in NW Italy.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I have the same trouble finding my way around the National Archives - they are (it seems to me) ery confusing. I can find which 'code' they are filed under but cannot find how to actually access and view even the 'free' ones.

To find a recorded divorce file from the 1920's I resorted to putting a question on Roots Chat.com (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php) and they were great - someone there did a National Archives search for me and found something within 24 hours...

They are really good with British genealogy and their forums are wide reaching. I carefully didn't ASK for a search to be done, but just asked if a divorce settlement made in the mid 20's for XXXXXX vs XXXXXX might be found in the archives... I had already found out that the Archives would do a search but the cost was £30 (€37 - $60) for every 10 years search and I was only guessing at the 1920's!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

I had a friend do a search for me at the National Archives (her daughter did work there for a time and she helped her mother do the search for me) The information I got back was what I posted to you but she did say if I had even had the name of the boat they sailed in or the name of the Port where they landed they may have been able to find something.
A while ago when I was trying to find out the year my grandparents came to England - I telephoned - Air/Water Dept. Board of Trade Public Records Office, Kew,Richmond. Tel. switchboard No. 02088 763444
Enquires- 02083925200. I was told that if you knew the person's name/ occupation they could sometimes be found that way - I was also told all this information was on a database which had the ship's name, Surname passenger List, Date, Profession and if you had the surname and the profession it should be able to trace the record. BUT I've still to find out where this database is kept! and if in fact it does exist! (dont know if these numbers will be the same now)
I have an email address Enquiry@pro.gov.uk and the internet link was www.pro.gov.uk/public records office
I was also told that all the records previously held at Somerset House London had all been transferred to Family Register Centre Southport
Tel. 01704569824 After all this I still came up with nothing but perhaps I just didnt get the correct person at the other end of the telephone :roll: :lol:
If you have any luck please let me know :D
But dont ever give up! After searching for my grandparents marriage document for over 30 years, last December I finally received a copy of the document from the priest in Italy.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Emmy, sorry but I think your link should be http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
that is as you said - the General Register Office in Southport.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Elba
I should have checked that the linked worked :wink:
I shouldnt have left a space between the last two words :oops:

On the 2nd link I posted if you go to the bottom of that page there is an option that says 'moving here' and it gives details of what people wevt through to get here but sadly it doesnt include people coming from Italy!!

Emmy