How do I Handle Certificate Discrepancies?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
runningoat5

How do I Handle Certificate Discrepancies?

Post by runningoat5 »

Hello Helpful People! :D

I have finally finished the genealogy process of collecting all the docs and certificates I will need to get apostilled and translated but before I get them all prepped for applying I was wondering if I need to do some extra work on clearing up a few inconsistent details in the certificates. Here are the details:

1) I am tracing solely through male ancestors to my GG Grandfather.
2) My G Grandfather's birth certificate says Pietro but the rest of the documents in his life say Peter.
3) My GG Grandmother's birth certificate and death certificate have different birth years by 9 years but the month and day are correct.
4) My G Grandmother has names showing up as Lindam Leopoldam, Dale A., and Linda Dale. There are some cross-referencing details on the marriage certificate, for instance, that show exact matching parents' names and things like that.
5) On my G Grandfather's marriage certificate his last name is spelled both correctly and incorrectly as Costanza and Constanza several times.
Bryan C. -- Rocket Scientist in Training

Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How do I Handle Certificate Discrepancies?

Post by elba »

Once again - your best bet is to ask at the consulate you will be dealing with... Where notations have been made regarding dicrepancies - these should show up on any translation, as should the different spellings of names. A translator might add a note on the translation or on a separate sheet explaining the spelling errors of the original.

But do ASK before you get all this work done. That way you will know what to ask/direct the translator to provide.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
runningoat5

Re: How do I Handle Certificate Discrepancies?

Post by runningoat5 »

Will do this

Thanks for your help :-)
Bryan C. -- Rocket Scientist in Training

Known Family Names: Costanza / Costanzo, Mantia, Luchessi, Maggesi, Cardamone, Ratchford, Petterson, Luddy, Bensinger, Custer, Fritsch / Fritz, Edelman