Returning to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Returning to Italy

Post by ItalianLori »

Hello to All:

I first would like to thank you all for the great info. and links you provide. Through posting a question I was able to get a photo copy of my grandfather's birth certificate which holds a wealth of information to persue.
(Thank you again, Maurizio!). Next step is to visit the LDS Family Center, as time allows to obtain microfiche!

After searching Ellis Island, Castle Garden and Ancestry documents, I have found several relatives but have reached a dead end. Is there any data on passenger manifests for vessels returning to Italy during the great migration years - 1880 - 1920? Several people have just diappeared. Also, has any data similar to our Ellis Island been recorded ( or found) listing departing vessels from Genoa and LaHarve?

There also seems to be a cessation of data for births and marriages after
the 1930's in the USA. I recall someone saying there is a 70 year hold on certain data. Is this true? For example, my birth and marriage data does not come up when I search my maiden name. There isn't anything for my parents and uncles from the 1940's ( re: marriage, births, etc.)

I always look forward to you interesting and very helpful advices.
Thanks much.

ItalianLori