naturalisation in australia

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

naturalisation in australia

Post by leash »

Hi

does anyone know where I can go to find out if my nana has been naturalised or where I can find the records in Australia

Thanks
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
Tramen

Re: naturalisation in australia

Post by Tramen »

Hi.
Most Naturalization records will be held at the state archive office. For Victoria, you would need to contact the Melbourne Office. I am not sure what they offer now, having used this office over 10 years ago and this involved going through microfische. Perhaps search for its website.
I searched ancestry and got some info from the Vic Electoral rolls. Do you have that? There are also quite a few entries for USA. Even if you are not a member, you can do a general search.
Hope this helps.
lyncic

Post by lyncic »

you need to contact the National Archives.

PO Box 7425,
Canberra Business Center
ACT 2160

Give them as much detail as you can.

first name and surname (maiden name)
Birth date and year of arrival in Australia.
Where they lived in Italy
They do have a on line record search go to
www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx
logon as a guest and put the surname of who you are looking for.
I have just checked and they do have a record of Naturalisation for a B.Scecchitano.
Not all records are listed so you may need to write them a letter with as much details as possible.
If you find who you are loking for click on them and you will find a series number ,barcode and control symbol. print this out . then you can request for copies of thier file.
I have just done this and it cost me $ 25.00 for copies as it was a large file. The information was great and contained a copy of my father inlaws passport with his photo along with details of his application of Naturalization. It took a few months but was well worth it

If your Nonno was already in Australia and became naturalised before he married your nonna (Many people where married by proxy)and she arrived in Australia before 1949 it would class her as aquiring British Nationality by virtue of Marriage to him. so perhaps she had no need to be Naturalized.
It changed to Australian Citizenship in 1949 and was called British Nationality before then.
If you send me some details on them I will gladly do a search on Ancesty for you.
lyncic

Post by lyncic »

leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

Hi

I have done a search for my nana and nothing came up, but to get the italian passport I need a offical record that says no records found.
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
pressy24

Post by pressy24 »

Hey Leash,

If you provide a record that says no record found! Then can someone apply for dual citizenship using that record?
Tim