Great grandfathers death certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PippaCouch

Great grandfathers death certificate

Post by PippaCouch »

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm struggling to locate an index record for my great grandfather grandfathers death certificate. I located his birth - certificate 10 Feb 1887 Vico de Gargano - in Italy - his marriage certificate, naturalisation documents, and his grave stone but. I am however struggling to find a way of locating his death certificate. He died on 1 August 1951, I believe he died in Baltimore, Maryland. I have looked at the Maryland state archive material for death index search and have scanned the images but do no see him listed and cannot find him there. I have his SS no. but I don't seem to be able to find him listed on the SS death index. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyone have any ideas about what I should try
next?

Would an application without his death certificate be considered? Given I have all the proof that he is my great grandfather... just no proof of death?

Your advise most welcome

Pippa
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Great grandfathers death certificate

Post by ffusiak »

Have you contact the cemetery? He may not have died in Maryland.
PippaCouch

Post by PippaCouch »

Other family members say he died in Maryland. Will the cemetery have record of location of death? Is this information that they hold?

Thanks

Pippa
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ffusiak »

PippaCouch wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 22:26 Other family members say he died in Maryland. Will the cemetery have record of location of death? Is this information that they hold?

Thanks

Pippa
It varies with cemetery but it is worth a phone call or an e-mail.