Great-Great Grandfather's Birth Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SoDakItalian

Great-Great Grandfather's Birth Record

Post by SoDakItalian »

I know this is a long shot, but I am hoping someone in Tropea, Italy can help me find by Great-Great Grandfather's Birth Record...
I have had a few e-mails to italianside.com to try to obtain this record, but I have not heard back from them since my last e-mail on June 14th.

I would qualify for Italian citizenship, however my mother was adopted and that relationship is not great. If I could obtain this record I could verify that I qualify and then I would work on getting my mother to unlock her adoption record.

Thank you.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Great-Great Grandfather's Birth Record

Post by mmogno »

Can you post your great-great-grandfather's name and date of birth?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
SoDakItalian

Post by SoDakItalian »

Sorry I did not reply sooner... I did not get a notification that there as a reply!

His Declaration of Intention (in 1939) shows his name as Mattair Polous born in "Troupea, Italy" on April 15, 1863. Though his marriage record has his name as "Matteo Pugliese" I am inclined to beleive the Pugliese name as correct as it was recorded in 1894, and it appears that the Pugliese name was around in that area of Italy at the time.

Thank you!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Her is the birth record of one Matteo Francesco Pugliese, born in Tropea on Feb 28, 1863:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=729626

I could no find others, in the years from 1861 to 1863, and just a few Pugliese's, so he might be the right one.
At that time, people often didn't even know wnhen they were born, and sometimes completely invented their birthday.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
SoDakItalian

Post by SoDakItalian »

Oh my Gosh!

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't see that on Family Search!
I can see folks not knowing their exact birthday... espcially since he didn't seem to use the same name either (makes me wonder if he even knew his birth name). I am guessing that is him, being the correct year and area. I will have to go back and do some digging on Birth Certs for his kids.

So the next question is, if the Petition for Naturalization and his birth record don't match what does that mean if I persue citizenship?