Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bitterbatter

Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents

Post by bitterbatter »

Hello all,

I am beginning the process of assembling the necessary documents for my wife to apply for Italian citizenship, though her father's side. Her grandfather is the LIPA, so i need to get his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate.

How to I best find the person or office in the commune of Gioia Del Colle, Bari, Puglia, to contact for best results?

Thank you,
Joe
qualdom
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents

Post by qualdom »

I would advise not wasting your time trying to procure the documents yourself.

I can recommend the user PippoM for obtaining certificates.
bitterbatter

Post by bitterbatter »

Is it really that difficult?
qualdom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qualdom »

I can only speak from my experience. My requests did not elicit a response. I contacted the user PippoM and he obtained my certificates in a matter of days.

If you don't know the precise dates/names, it makes it exponentially more difficult. I would contact someone in Italy who specializes in certificate procurement...you'll get results.
hessgoblue

Post by hessgoblue »

If you speak Italian and want to try calling the comune, you can but I think sending emails or letters is really a gamble. Like the other user here, I also never elicited a response on my own in this way. I used a company for mine (Francesco Curione) and he was very fast. Based on what he told me, for the more difficult one, he did have to call and actually speak to someone to get it. Just my experience.
afecad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by afecad »

bitterbatter wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:22 Hello all,

I am beginning the process of assembling the necessary documents for my wife to apply for Italian citizenship, though her father's side. Her grandfather is the LIPA, so i need to get his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate.

How to I best find the person or office in the commune of Gioia Del Colle, Bari, Puglia, to contact for best results?

Thank you,
Joe
I was able to find all my relatives in Calabria via familysearch.org records, have you tried searching yours?

You'll need to create a free account, but I see records back to 1866 for Gioia Del Colle

https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... ce=7063499

If you know birth years and names, you can search with ease and many on here can help with the Italian translation, many on here may even find it for you.

These copies on familysearch are good because they aid to obtain the official record from the Comune, which doing yourself (from my experience) may go unanswered or be quite difficult if you email the Comune yourself as qualdom noted.

These copies themselves are not "official" for the process of obtaining citizenship, so you still will need to obtain the official copy from the Comune which is the most difficult in some instances, I'm using ICA and to aid in retrieval I sent them the copies of all records I found via familysearch.

Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.
qualdom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qualdom »

afecad wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 18:16 Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.
Yes, he obtained the actual certified copies for me that can be used for the dual citizenship process. My ancestor's comune is not available online for the years in question, and I didn't know the precise dates, so I think it would have been nearly impossible without his assistance.
afecad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 19:04
afecad wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 18:16 Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.
Yes, he obtained the actual certified copies for me that can be used for the dual citizenship process. My ancestor's comune is not available online for the years in question, and I didn't know the precise dates, so I think it would have been nearly impossible without his assistance.
Oh, good to know. Were these from Isca sullo Ionio or another comune?