Y Haplogroup

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Y Haplogroup

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone here with an Italian surname know their Y haplogroup?
Palermo Trapani

Re: Y Haplogroup

Post by Palermo Trapani »

Yes, NAT GENO was what I used and I am I-M223. All ancestors immigrated from Sicily between 1890 and 1903. My top 2 Match Populations at NAT GENO are 1) Italian (they use Italians from Tuscany/Central Italy as reference population) and 2) Greek.

I
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Mine is G-L14. All of my ancestors are Italian.
TerraLavoro
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Did anyone get a time frame associated with the origin of their Y haplogroup? I read it represents "ancient" origins.

My paternal line is R-M269 L1066.1.

The paper trail for my paternal side is all Sicilian back to the 1700s.

I was "disappointed" to learn that this Y haplogroup is believed to have originated in the British Isles, specifically Scotland. Perhaps Euro Asian origin before that.

I was hoping for deep Italian roots or Middle East or even Northern Africa.

Of course, there have been many invasions of Sicily over the centuries.
afecad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 00:12 Does anyone here with an Italian surname know their Y haplogroup?
If you really want to know your "Confirmed" Y Haplogroup, I suggest FamilyTreeDNA Y-DNA testing. 23andme showed my Paternal Haplogroup as R-S660, but when I went with the FamilyTreeDNA Big Y-700 test, my confirmed haplogroup was R-FGC19862. FamilyTreeDNA goes deeper, branching off subclades, SNP's and etc...basically a branch on a tree as if it were and they show you how it branches off and also list countries and surnames of others.

I'm Italian on my Maternal side only and see North African and Middle Eastern heritage, very small % however and I noticed it changes between DNA companies, some show more % and some show different regions or areas.
afecad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by afecad »

-