Specific Ethnicity Tests

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Specific Ethnicity Tests

Post by darkerhorse »

I want to determine the ethnic origin of a deceased woman. Her daughter's daughter's daughter is living as is her brother. So, they are the woman's g-grandchildren.

How much DNA are they expected to have inherited from her? Would it be enough to detect her suspected ethnic origin (in this case, Native American).

Since the g-granddaughter is in her direct maternal line, is she a better candidate?

Are there DNA tests specific to the maternal line or paternal line which can detect ethnicity on that side, or do you need general DNA?

Native American ancestry is suspected only on the basis of family lore. The woman's paper trail shows no hint of Native American ancestry. A few blood relatives have taken DNA tests showing on Native American ancestry.
afecad
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Specific Ethnicity Tests

Post by afecad »

I would try 23andme to start, since their testing offers Autosomal, mtDNA, and Y-DNA, for both family members you listed.Y-DNA would only be useful for a Male.

mtDNA is inherited from the maternal line and Y-DNA from the paternal line.Y-DNA would trace back father to father and so on. mtDNA works for both sexes, autosomal as well. Ancestry.com dna testing is only autosomal, so I found 23andme the best value.

You can also try Ancestry later or FamilyTreeDNA, family finder and mtDNA and Y-DNA, they are ala carte on their testing and it can get expensive but is more powerful.

So I would suggest 23andme for both to start, if the Native American heritage is paternal, you might see it in the male tester instead. If maternal then both will show it, likely a small %.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

What about haplo groups for the direct maternal line?
afecad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 00:17 What about haplo groups for the direct maternal line?
You’ll get that from 23andme.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Can they indicate Native American ancestry?
afecad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 19:48 Can they indicate Native American ancestry?
I would suggest you read this:

https://blog.23andme.com/ancestry-repor ... rican-dna/

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... %20context.

Again, I used several DNA companies, FamilyTreeDNA might open more doors as they have "projects" that are created by user groups to connect lineage and heritage, I do see a Native American group:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/am ... background
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

That's a good site. I sent them an email. Thanks.