4th Cousin

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

4th Cousin

Post by darkerhorse »

How much DNA are you expected to share with a 4th cousin?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: 4th Cousin

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 00:39 How much DNA are you expected to share with a 4th cousin?
Approximately 1% -- 2% is usually a 3rd cousin...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

So, if my 4th cousin is 65% South European, 13% Middle Eastern, and the rest low confidence then that implies absolutely nothing about me.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 01:19 So, if my 4th cousin is 65% South European, 13% Middle Eastern, and the rest low confidence then that implies absolutely nothing about me.
In the big scheme of things, you are correct. You could show traces of all those ancestries, but they would be mixed with the successive generations which might or might not be the same/similar...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli