Sicilian DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Sicilian DNA

Post by darkerhorse »

What is the best testing company to use in order to detect Sicilian DNA?
xoRebeccaxo

Re: Sicilian DNA

Post by xoRebeccaxo »

23 and Me detected mine accurately...
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Ancestry shows Sicilian DNA.
For Europe, With Love.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks.

My Sicilian half is all on my father's side. Am I better off testing only Y DNA to detect Sicilian DNA?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I asked a Sicilian genealogist online and he recommended 23andMe, so it's a dilemma. I don't even see Sicilian as a category on their website.

Has anyone had Sicilian DNA detected in their testing?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 19:43 I asked a Sicilian genealogist online and he recommended 23andMe, so it's a dilemma. I don't even see Sicilian as a category on their website.

As Browned Eyed Girl has mentioned that Ancestry detects Sicilian dna why don't you test with them and then when you receive your results from Ancestry, you can download the data and upload to 23andMe. That is what a lot of people do.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

upload for free?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 21:59 upload for free?
It was when I uploaded two years ago.

I totally prefer Ancestry to 23andMe. Ancestry is so easy to understand, and they are always refining things as well. 23andMe took a while to get my head around and I haven't really found it very helpful.

If you decide to go with Ancestry, keep an eye out for the specials, as otherwise it can be quite expensive. They have really good deals from time to time. The kit that I received was complementary, a few years go, through a place that I volunteer at.

Good luck with this.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Has anyone had a DNA test for ethnicity which reports an actual percentage for a specific category labeled "Sicily" or "Sicilian"?
GEAUX2GIRL

Post by GEAUX2GIRL »

darkerhorse wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 18:03 Has anyone had a DNA test for ethnicity which reports an actual percentage for a specific category labeled "Sicily" or "Sicilian"?
My father is half-Sicilian, and my Ancestry DNA test came back showing me at "9% Sicily". So, yes, the test is out there.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

So, there's no such DNA test that specific?
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Post by lyn1982 »

You can't upload results to ancestry or 23andme. You have to test with them to get results. You can upload to myheritage and familytreedna tho after testing at either company.

If you care about matches I'd say ancestry is better, but they have no chromosome browser. Ancestry does detect sicillian DNA they have ancestry communities and sicily is one. But 23andme detects it too. I think 23andme is better, they even show you a chromosome view of where on each chromosome you have Italian, etc.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 21:34
darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 19:43 I asked a Sicilian genealogist online and he recommended 23andMe, so it's a dilemma. I don't even see Sicilian as a category on their website.

As Browned Eyed Girl has mentioned that Ancestry detects Sicilian dna why don't you test with them and then when you receive your results from Ancestry, you can download the data and upload to GEDmatch. That is what a lot of people do.

Angela
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 22:15
darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 21:59 upload for free?

It was when I uploaded two years ago.

I totally prefer Ancestry to GEDmatch.

Angela

I've just read Lyn1982's post here about not being able to upload to 23andme, and have realised that I made an error in a couple of earlier posts here. GEDmatch was the company that I uploaded to, not 23andme. I haven't visited the GEDmatch site for at least a year now.

Thanks for pointing that this Lyn.

Angela
NickAndreola
Elite
Elite

Post by NickAndreola »

Also note the recent purchase of Ancestry and what/where their DNA testing direction may be heading.....before you decide which to go with.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Yeah. Looks like they want to ramp up their genetic health capabilities to compete better with 23andme.

I'm interested in which company is best at detecting Sicilian ancestry.