French DNA in Italy

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
goriogal

French DNA in Italy

Post by goriogal »

I received my DNA results and am very surprised to see that I have a substantial amount of French DNA. I have taken my family tree back over 100 years on both sides and there are no French relatives. My mother's side is from Salerno and Abruzzi and my father is from the Fruili-Venezia Giulia region. Can anyone make sense of this?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: French DNA in Italy

Post by PippoM »

I wouldn't be surprised of that!
I'm from Salerno area, and we've had several occupations by the French along the centuries.
So, during one of these, some French might have been an ancestor of you.
I have blue eyes, and my temperament is more "northern" then "southern".
My wife always says "You are French. There must be a little bit of on old ancestor inside of you, that is always showing". Despite this, I've not found a French ancestor of mine yet, though I've arrived at the middle of 18th century along several lines. Now, I have found a Dupaquier from Naples, who is my 5GM, and that's where I'll look to see if her ancestors were from France or Swiss.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
MaddalenaNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I was always told of the French in my family. Borders were fluid back when. It is no surprise to me that an Italian would have French or Austrian ancestry.
goriogal

Post by goriogal »

I didn't realize that the French occupied as far south as Salerno throughout history. I guess I'll have to keep digging for those French roots!