Bontempi family from N. Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Bontempi family from N. Italy

Post by TomG »

My grandmother was Irma Bontempi. She died in the flu epidemic of 1918 in NYC so we don't have much info on her or her family. I'm pretty sure she was from the Belforte/Borgotaro area of E.R. as that is where my grandfather Massimino Giliotti was born although they were married in NYC. We have found her name as a sponsor in some church records, but I'm not sure if she was in the town or if she could have been a sponsor in absentia. I know she had a sister who married a Pellegrinelli, but we have lost touch with them. She was born in 1886, and her father was Giovanni Bontempi. ON her death certificate her mother is listed as Laura Botnempi even though the record asks for mother's maiden name. Her death record also indicates that she had been in the US for 12 yrs. in 1918. I've found many Giliotti cousins in Belforte, but I have never been able to find any Bontempi family links or even anyone who is researching Bontempi genealogy.
tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Bontempi family from N. Italy

Post by tenby »

Hi Tom

I found this for you although Irma is spelt differently and Maria is her mothers name it seems to fit in

Ermma Bontempi Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Giovanni Family
Mother: Maria Pellegri

Marriages:
Spouse: Massimino Gigliotti Family
Marriage: 26 OCT 1907 Manhattan, New York, New York

Regards

Lynne
tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tenby »

Hi Tom again

Also found this with Massiminos father and mothers maiden name

Husband
Massimino Gigliotti Pedigree

Birth: , , Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Father: Giuseppe Family
Mother: Maddalena Risi

Wife
Ermma Bontempi Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Father: Giovanni Family
Mother: Maria Pellegri

Any idea what part of Italy they were from?

Lynne
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Responding to yhour last item regarding anyone having done researches on BONTEMPI in Italy.

Go to www.google.com and inthe title insert BONTEMPI SURNAME GENEALOGY ITALY where there are some 2, 300 odd items relating to the Bontempi surname. =Peter=
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomG »

First of all, thanks, tenby! Where did you find the information? I have little bits of it, but I haven't found anything with a pedigree listing.

The Giliotti's are from Belforte/Borgotaro. I'm not positve about the Bontempi's, but I would suspect that they are from the same area.

I'll try the Google search. I've only used Bontempi genealogy and not found much.
Thanks again.
tenby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tenby »

Sorry Tom I should of said where I got the information from

www.familysearch.org

Have you also looked on this site www.ellisisland.org its a free site it might tell you when your ancestors came over to the USA.

Lynne
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

TomG wrote:My grandmother was Irma Bontempi. She died in the flu epidemic of 1918 in NYC so we don't have much info on her or her family. I'm pretty sure she was from the Belforte/Borgotaro area of E.R. as that is where my grandfather Massimino Giliotti was born although they were married in NYC. We have found her name as a sponsor in some church records, but I'm not sure if she was in the town or if she could have been a sponsor in absentia. I know she had a sister who married a Pellegrinelli, but we have lost touch with them. She was born in 1886, and her father was Giovanni Bontempi. ON her death certificate her mother is listed as Laura Botnempi even though the record asks for mother's maiden name. Her death record also indicates that she had been in the US for 12 yrs. in 1918. I've found many Giliotti cousins in Belforte, but I have never been able to find any Bontempi family links or even anyone who is researching Bontempi genealogy.
Hi, I found:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Mersimino Gilliotti
Name: Mersimino Gilliotti
[Massimino Gilliotti]
Age in 1910: 28
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Brother-in-law
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 19, New York, New York
Marital Status: Married

Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1890
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Emil Pallzenelle 28 (Pellegrinelli)
Albertina Pallzenelle 28
Peter Pallzenelle 2
Joseph Pallzenelle 1
Mersimino Gilliotti 28
Enna Gilliotti 24 imm 1906
Louis Gilliotti 1
Alfred Gilliotti 19 cousin in law

Joseph Frandofi 35 boarder

marriage record:
groom
Gigliotti Massimino Oct 26 1907 Manhattan 27613 ( certificate number)
bride
Bontette Emma Oct 26 1907 27613 Manhattan
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomG »

WOW! I had never found any 1910 census info, and I thought I had done extensive searches. The Gilliotti information is consistent with what I have found elsewhere. I'm quite sure that the Fandolfi is actually Gandolfi, and I think he is related on the Bontempi side. I'm also wondering if the other name is Pellegrinelli because they're also related on the Bontempi side.

I still wish I could figure out where the Bontempi's lived in Italy. We're planning a trip to Belforte in May to see where the my grandfather was born. We found many distant cousins still live there. I'd love to know where my grandmother was born.

I've used Steve Morse's sight extensively, and my wife helped transcribe the 1940's census info for him. He's a great resource.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

no, no Belforte, Irma came from Pieve Altavilla( I cannot find this town, maybe changed name in current age) with Albertina sister:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Irma Bontempi Sister
Name: Irma Bontempi Sister
Arrival Date: 28 Jan 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887

Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Cretic
Search Ship Database: View the Cretic in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 26
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_531
Page Number: 125

and joining at Rosa Gandolfo/i aunt in NYC

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Albertina (Irma's sister) marriage record:
bride
Bontempi Albertina Nov 10 1906 28467(certificate number) Manhattan

groom:
Pellegrinelli Emilio Nov 10 1906 Manhattan 28467

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Ciao Suanj,

There is a Pieve Ottoville in the comune of Zibello in Parma. Is this possibly Irma's home?

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/034/048/index.html

Baci

Mary Jo
orietta

Post by orietta »

io sono nipote di giuseppina Bontempi sorella di Irma , abito a pieveottoville nella casa che fu di Bontempi Giovanni e Maria Pellegrini.
Ho tra i miei ricordi di famiglia le lettere che Irma scriveva dagli Stati Uniti.
Sono in contatto con la nipote di Albertina Bontempi che vive a Norfolk.
Ho ricostruito attraverso alcuni documenti e foto la storia della famigllia.
contattatemi attraverso la e-mail Oriettagambazza@yahoo.it
orietta

Post by orietta »

hi! I'm writing to you a translation of what I said before...just in case you need it!
I'm the granddoughter of Giuseppina bontempi, Irma's sister. I live in Pieveottoville in the same house of Bontempi Giovanni and Maria Pellegrini.
In my family heiroom I have letters that Irma wrote from the U.S.
And I still keep in touch with Albertina Bontempi who lives in Norfolk.
I have pieced together the history of the family through some photos and documents.
send me a mail!!! this is my e-mail address oriettagambazza@yahoo.it
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomG »

This board is such a great resource. We've now found a cousin who lives in the same house my grandmother was born in. This is the biggest breakthrough we've ever had in our Bontempi research. We'll be going to Italy in May, and now we can visit my ancestors' town.
Thank you!
LynneBovill

Post by LynneBovill »

I have a question for everyone on this post.
I just recently became aware that I have Italian roots! :)
This is in regards to my grandmother (father's mother) that I met only once when I was a small child. I also met my father only once when I was a child.
My grandmother's maiden name is Viola F. Giliotti. She was born in 1924 but I don't know where. She met and married a man named Robert F. Farrow and had a son named Donald R. Farrow. (my father) They lived in Maryland.
She either divorced Robert Farrow or he passed away. She then married John Garvin and they ended up moving to Arizona about 30-35 years ago.Tucson, Arizona. My grandmother had my father when she was just 17. She was 77 in 2001 when my father died of cirrhosis. He was unfortunatley a heavy drinker for most of his life and passed at age 60. My grandmother signed his death certificate. She was alive when he passed away 2001 so if she were still alive now, she would be 86.
I would like to try and find some back ground on the name or on her if anyone here knowws anything about her. I really appreciate any input that anyone may have on this.