Where to find death posting

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Where to find death posting

Post by nuccia »

I believe Lillian was actually Lena and they just Americanized the name. And almost everyone was Maria..Looking at the 1919 Census, there are just too many similarities to be ignored. Sam is a shoemaker, Lillian is the same age as Lena, immigration date is the same, they live in Spokane..as for age..they all lied. Remember, it was acceptable in Italy for an older man to marry a much younger woman but it was not as common American custom. Or Also, the census takers were not used to European names and I found the 1910 Census one of the worst for accuracy..I just don't think you should rule that census out just yet..

I found the record for the baby as well..

Washington Births, 1907-1919
about Unnamed Drogatis
Name: Unnamed Drogatis
Birth Date: 12 May 1913
Sex: Male
Race: White
Father's Name: Sam Drogatis
Mother's Name: Anna Caotta
Image Filename: 2048

Could this be Paul who was registered before they named him?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

More births..

Washington Births, 1907-1919
about Mike Derogatia
Name: Mike Derogatia
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1916
Sex: Male
Race: White
Father's Name: Sam Derogatia
Mother's Name: Anna Goe
Image Filename: 2048
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Nuccia,

I agree, nothing should be overlooked. As for Paul and the unnamed baby boy; they would be two different children. The unnamed baby was born between Paul 1912 and William 1915.

I believe you could be right about Lillian/Lena. I'm sure the census takers would write how they heard it, the same as when they boared ships, the spelling is how the takers heard it.

I just received a civil cert. for grandfather Salvatore Guarisco (different post)I believe it is a birth cert but, since it is in Italian, i can't read it.

I am confused since it is a birth cert, it lists my DiGirolamo which is my grandmother's (Antonina's)maiden name on the far right. I can make out "Gibellina' and "bambino" so, if this is a birth cert. I can't figure out why his future wife's name would be on it. I see his mother's name; Maria (here we go again) and DiGiloramo. Maria's (his mother) last name was Farachi (I see it in the cert, but looks like it may be spelled, Faraci If there is a father's name, I can't find it.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Nuccia,

the only thing about the 1920 sensus is that Lillian is listed as 7 !/2 and Lena would have only been 1 yr old, she was born in 1909. I just thought that was worth repeating. I must be missing something or have a mental block on this.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

7/12 means 7 months ( seven twelfths of a year) so that could well indicate that it was Lena.

I have two family members called Lena - and in both cases that is a shortened version of their real name which is Angelina...

For the birth certificate you received, if you let me/us see it we will translate it for you.

It should show the father's name, the childs 'given' (first) name and the mother's maiden name. Remember Italian women retain their own name throughout their lives - but they all (it seems) accepted the American system of using their husband's name once they were faced with American officials.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

here is the link you asked for. I hope I did it right, I have never used imageshak before. It seems pretty easy and will use it again.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... citec0.jpg

Nuccia, I now understand the ages on the census, this makes more sense to me and Lillian is probably Lena. Who knew? This is so much fun uncovering all this, it is like being there.

thanks.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

elba,
In the post on page 3, you had translated the back of a picture that mentioned Francesco as in the military. My mother thinks it could be Angelo Corigliano father, my grandma Anne's second husband, who was also named Francessco and went by Frank. Could be.