Need help finding info on Cipriani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rdh1079

Need help finding info on Cipriani

Post by rdh1079 »

My grandfather's name is John F Cipriani, born in Cincinnati, OH, feb 1924, his father was Phillip, or Filippo, born in Italy, I have found a draft registration card which tells me he was born in 1884, but thats as far as I get. My grandfather's mom's name was Sadie J. Warner born about 1905, they were not married. I am trying to find out when he died, who his parents were, where he came from, the usual, and am hitting walls, maybe someone here can point me somewhere.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding info on Cipriani

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
Have you checked the free Ohio Death Certificate database at FamilySearchLabs?
It only requires a one time registration.
5 pages of listings for Cipriani, one for a Philip estimated birth as 1891.
Valarie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

giovanni Cipriani entered the USA at NYC on June 3,1919, on the SS Argentina out of Trieste. He was born 1884 and his last place of residence was genova so he may very well have been born there. If you wish you cna go to the nearest Mormon family History Library to your hlme at www.familysearch.org and look upmicrofilm reel#27 for Civil records from 1866 to 1925 for Genova/Genova (City and Provincial capital) for his birth records and parents names and then request a family certificate in his fathers name for his mother,brothers and sisters. it is called a CERTIFICATO DI STATO DI FAMIGLIA STORICO at the Uffico di Stato Civile in Genova, Postale 16100 where all births,marrriage and death records are stored.

You can write to that office without viewing the mcrofilm at all and simply request his birth record and if you know his fathers name you can also request the CERTIFICATO at the same time in two requests. Go to www.mangeruca.com for the form letters in Italian. The address is also in the website I gave you for Genova as well. There is no fee but you c ould enclose $10.00 in a self addressed envelope for the research work as a tip for poorly paid clerks. =Peter=
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Valarie! :D

The death record you found looks like a very possible match based on info on the WWII Draft Reg Card.

WWII Draft reg card

Death Record

Website for New St Joseph's Cemetery, burial place for Philip Cipriani
Last: CIPRIANI
First: PHILIP
Middle:
Date of Death: 26-Mar-1949
Spouse's Name:
Section: 15
Lot: 21
Part: N
Range: 15
Date of Interment: 30-Mar-1949
Parents Name: JOHN & CATHERINE CIPRIANI

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
rdh1079

Post by rdh1079 »

thats odd that you found that burial st st josephs, thats where my grandpa is buried, i didnt even think to look there. the only thing is that he spelled his name with two Ls. I will have to look at the familysearch.org thing when i get home, i cant view that here at work. geeze, you guys rock, lots of responses so fast, thanks!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I found this interesting WWI Draft Registration card

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Philip Cipriano
Name: Philip Cipriano
City: Cincinnati
County: Hamilton
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 22 Oct 1890
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1819801
DraftBoard: 3

[img=http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8819/c ... de9.th.jpg]

in the enlistment for the Second War birth date is October 22, 1884....
In the death certificate (1949) Philip is 59 years old so his birth year is 1891...

I can't read well the birth place in this draft card....

Laura
rdh1079

Post by rdh1079 »

i dont think that is him in st joes, part of the problem is taht there are a lot of ciprianis in cincinnati, not all are related, or maybe they are, thats kinda what i am trying to work out.....
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

The birth place in the WWI Draft Registration Card is Sammichele di Bari - Bari Province - Apulia Region....
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

What about this 1930 census?

1930 United States Federal Census
about Philip Cipeiaeini
Name: Philip Cipeiaeini
Home in 1930: Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Theresa :?:
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Philip Cipeiaeini 40 occupation Proprietor - bakery, imm. 1904
Theresa Cipeiaeini 21 born in West Virginia by Italian parents
John Cipeiaeini 6
Lucile Cipeiaeini 1/12

[img=http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/710/ ... yk5.th.jpg]

Laura
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Just my opinion.

I located the 1930 Cincinnati Ohio census with your grandfather John F., his sister Catherine and mother Sadie. Based on the Italian naming traditions and the parents' names on Philip Cipriani's death certificate posted above (John Cipriani and Catherine), the cemetery listed on the death certificate (St Joesph's Cemetery New), and the informant's name (John Cipriani) on the certificate, I believe that these records are most likely your great grandfather's and that he is interred at the location posted above.

Biff
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:? , so I apologize... the census I found is incorrect.... strange thing a Philip Cipriani baker in the same Town... and a son John born in 1924... 8O
Laura
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

One way to possibly verify that the death certificate posted above is your great grandfather's is to check the signature of the informant (John Cipriani) against any handwriting samples you might have for your grandfather.

Biff
rdh1079

Post by rdh1079 »

where was the ww1 draft card found? the top line spells with one l, the signature is spelled with to. odd that the birth date is the same with the exception of the years.....and the o at the end of the name throws me a little too...... the signatures on the cards dont match either.....weird
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

pink67 wrote::? , so I apologize... the census I found is incorrect.... strange thing a Philip Cipriani baker in the same Town... and a son John born in 1924... 8O
Laura
Hey Laura!
You never know.
I'll bet there's a relationship there somewhere :D .
Valarie
rdh1079

Post by rdh1079 »

my grandfather really didn't talk to his father, so he wouldnt have signed his death certificate. that is so starnge having two phillips with such similar last names both in the same town and both with sons named john. i have heard that after my gr. grand father left my gr. grandmother he remarried, and i think he may have had another son that he named john. so....maybe the census taker just spelled the name wrong, i am trying to get more info from my family, but because he left so early there isnt much info, my mom is one of 13 (italians, go figure) and none of them knew their grandfather, so info is hard to come by.