Greetings! New User here, and a question!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CarmenP

Greetings! New User here, and a question!!

Post by CarmenP »

Hello All!!

My name is Carmen. I was born in the town of Atripalda. My mom was asking me a question this morning, I hopped on the computer to find the answer, was doing some family/surname searches, one thing lead to another (I bet that's how it starts for a LOT of people) and now I am addicted, in just a few short hours, to trying to connect the dots!!

So, here is my question:

My father's family (NOVACO from Atripalda, Avellino) was the start of my search. I actually found (what I BELIEVE) is part of a tree which has branches of my direct ancestors (starting with Vincenzo and ending with Gabriele (b) 1887), but I am stuck.

Here is the link/tree I am referring to:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.c ... I557367662

From here, I trace Gabriele back to Vincenzo. But (in what I believe would be EASIER info to trace) there is nothing from Gabriele FORWARD.

So, my question? Where do I go from here to find who Gabriele married, the names of their children, etc..??

I am really anxious to continue the searches, and I thank you in advance for any advice/tips you have!!

Grazie!!
Carmen
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Greetings! New User here, and a question!!

Post by Romano1970 »

Hello Carmen....Welcome to this wonderfull site. There are a good number of people here on this site that are going to be able to lend a hand to you. I for one am a true believer of this site. Last april I to was a new member and since then I have been able to trace my tree back almost completely through four generations in Sicily.I have also spoke to and rec'd letters from them. See my last forumn ( HUGE LIST OF NAMES ) All this information was made possible through this site.

I would say by tomorrow or even this evening you will have suprising info to look over.

Once again Welcome

Sincerely Michael ROmano
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi Carmen and welcome to the forum, :lol:

Can you give us a few more details. Where are you located? It is best to start with yourself and work backwards. What is your father's name and birth date? Your grandfather's and grandmother's? Once you have as much info on your own family you may be able to use this tree. If Gabriel is a relative, the hard work is done for you :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi carmen for your ready reference and review go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html this website permits you to set your own pace while we are here to keep you on track. =Peter=
CarmenP

Post by CarmenP »

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the welcome!!

A little background:

My father is adopted. His parents were BOTH born in, lived and died in Atripalda, Avellino. I can certainly ask him for HIS grandparents' names (and intend to) but anything beyond that will be foreign to him.

As my grandparents (his parents) are now deceased, I have no other source of information -- which is why the line from Vincenzo to Gabriele was so exciting to me. I did relate those names to him and he said that, based on what snippets of conversations he can remember from childhood, those names sound right -- so I think I am on the right track.

So, here is what I know.

I was born (in Atripalda) to Guido Gabriele (adopted; raised in Atripalda), whose adoptive parents were Carmella Novaco (nee` Bilotti) and Sabino Novaco.

I need to track the tree back now, on both the Novaco side and the Bilotti side, but it seems the Novaco side might be easier as I feel that Sabino (grandfather) will link back to Gabriele who links back to Vincenzo (as mentioned above).

Please, keep the ideas coming! Any and all info is GREATLY appreciated!!
CarmenP

Post by CarmenP »

It could very well be. Sabino came to the US (NY) with his brother (I need -- NEED -- to ask my dad for details) in the early 19-teens, but returned to Italy shortly thereafter because he and his brother refused to be victims of the Black Hand.

Thank you for that! I will need to show this to my father!! :) :) :)

EDITED to add:

I noticed on line 24, Sabino's name, but it says his country of origin is CANADA. Am I reading that correctly?? I know for a fact Sabino was here in the states briefly, but never in Canada. So, if that is correct, then that is not my grandfather....

Hmmm... Also, the arrival date is 1913. He would have been relatively young then, too young to have come with his brother to start a business.

I am guessing it's NOT him -- but definitely a relative given the birthplace of Atripalda and the name (first and surname) itself.

THANKS!!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

And a wife named Carmella! The Canada could possibly refer to the line above.

That is why I asked for possible birth dates. Do you know when Sabino was born? Or when he might have travelled?
CarmenP

Post by CarmenP »

*LOL*

I applaud your ability to read that his wife/relative is Carmella!! WOW! I had to read that again and again to make it out -- I never even saw it the first time!!

I can't call my dad at the moment. I KNOW his parents were younger than my mom's parents. And they were born in 1916. So, my dad's parents were born sometime after 1916 -- probably 1919-1920.

*LOL* -- and I just noticed above that I said Sabino would have been "relatively young" in 1913 -- yeah, so young that he wasn't conceived yet!! ROFLMAO

Can you tell I am totally new, and too geeked to do the math, at this??!! :)
CarmenP

Post by CarmenP »

Hello All!

I was able to sit down with my father today and get some names. It seems as if the Novaco Tree I found is indeed a list of my ancestors!! Going back, from myself.

Carmen
Guido Gabriele (Anne Marie)
Sabino (Carmella)
Gabriele (Sabina)
Sabino (Palmini)

and on and on...

Soooooooo

Now I need to fill in the "fluff" (siblings, cousins, etc..) but I would prefer to shift to my paternal grandmother's side: Carmella Bilotti (Novaco)

Carmella Bilotti was also born in Atripalda.
PARENTS: Nicola and Concetta
SIBLINGS: Maria, Ciro and Anna

Nicola Bilotti also had a sister Anna or Maria or Annamaria who married a Pacifico (from Positano) whom I am VERY interested in.

Anna(Maria) came to the states VERY young (age 14?), to meet her betrothed (Pacifico (Giuseppe, I think)) -- All of this comes to me verbally, I have found nothing recorded in my limited searches.

So, any more info on ANY of these is APPRECIATED!! Any info on places to look is also appreciated! I cannot find ANYthing on the Bilotti line.

Carmen
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here are some records you might want to look at.

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc
Beulah

Post by Beulah »

Hi there

Just read the postings. New to this site. My grandfather was Sabino Novaco from Altripalda who married Carmella Zupo in Toronto. This is his name on the manifest from Ellis Island.

I am doing the Novaco genealogy. Sabino came to Toronto and lived until his death in 1934 of consumption. He did return to Italy in 1930's for one last visit.

I do have a record of Sabino Novaco married to a Palmina Salvi in 1883 in Altripalda. Together they had a son Carmine Antonio born in 1889 in altripalda.

Does any of this help ??
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Beulah how can we assist you? =Peter=
Beulah

Post by Beulah »

Thank you

Wondering if anyone out there has any other Novaco information from Altripalda Avellino.

Would like to know if Sabino Novaco had any living relations in Atripalda today. His parents were Antonio and Rosa DiMasi.
CarmenP

Post by CarmenP »

Interesting!! Likely, we are distantly related.

I think the Sabino that married Palmina is a direct ancestor. What other info do you have??

I have no info on Antonio and Rosa. Sorry! :(