New here and in researching family history!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amato1218

New here and in researching family history!

Post by Amato1218 »

Hi Everyone!

I am a total newbie when it comes to this forum and researching my family history. I am still gathering information from other family members and trying to put together a family tree and history. The purpose of this is to pass along to my children, continue to instill the Italian heritage that my grandmother passed along to me and to prepare for a trip my mother and I would like to take to Italy to see where we came from and hopefully connect with some long lost family.

The problem is I have NO IDEA where to start and maybe its because I don't have enough information yet. Here is what I do have:

My grandmother came from Italy with her parents. She was born in 1913 but I'm not sure the year they came over. My Grandmothers name was Angelina Maria Gregory though this is the surname they used here and I am guessing it was something else in Italy. I remember my grandmother always saying they came from "high Italy - up north wear Italians had beautiful blue eyes like the sky". My first born son was born with eyes blue as the sky and they always remind me of her and her love of Italy! Her father owned a small grocery store in New York, NY when they came here and she had at least two sisters - Anna and Helen. She eventually married Natale Amato and went by the name May Amato.

My grandfather also came from Italy though I do not know when. His name was Natale Amato and all I know is that he was a merchant marine. He died around 1955 when my father was young and we have little information on his family background. I believe he had 2 brothers.

My other Grandmother was Vincenza Rappollo and came to the US in early 1900's from Partanna Sicily with her brother Guiseppe?

All of my family settled in New York upon arrival from

I know its not a lot. If anyone can help point me in the right direction or even tell me what information I should try to gather to help take the search further I would really really appreciate it. I am pretty lost but very determined to fill in all the blanks on my family history. I heard so many interesting stories as a child and I am kicking myself now for not writing them down or asking more questions.

Thank you for your help!

Angela Maria Amato
vj
Master
Master

Re: New here and in researching family history!

Post by vj »

Hello Angela and Welcome to the Forum :D !
Your summary was outstanding! Thank you.

Wish we knew Angelina & Natale's parent's names.
What did they name their children? There may be a clue if they followed
traditional naming patterns...

We can help you find US records, which are generally on subscription sites.
These include, census & possible military records.

Ship manifests for New York can be found on Ellis Island - free
with a one time sign up.
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html

These may help you locate New York City records:
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

If any of these records have your family’s town in Italy, we can direct you
on how to find your original records from Italy.
OK?
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Angela,
Just for reference, your grandmother's obituary?:
Thanks! Valarie
Journal News, The (Westchester County, NY)
January 17, 2000
AMATO, MAY

May Amato of Yorktown Heights died on January 15, 2000 at Somers Manor Nursing Home. She was 87.

Mrs. Amato worked as a clerk for Chase Manhattan Bank in Granite Springs Record Center. She was a former Real Estate Agent for Carl Albano, Ted Dwyer and Les Dodge; a former member of Home Owners Association, Jefferson Valley Village Board of Directors; past member of First Fund Raiser- Putnam Hospital Center; and former member of the Red Cross Blood Drives.

Mrs. Amato was born April 1, 1912 in NYC.
Mrs. Amato lived in Yorktown, NY for the past 17 years, and before that she lived in Mahopac, NY since 1950.

Locally she was a member of Saint John the Evangelist Church; the Ladies Auxiliary Mahopac Fire Department, Past President; Past President of the Home Owners Association Tea Kettle Spout property owners; Past President of Italian American Club of Mahopac; Past Co-President Hope Town; one of the original founders of the Mahopac Library; also first female employee for Putnam County Sheriffës Department.

She is survived by a son, Gregory Amato, former Chief of Police, Town of Carmel, NY; grandchildren, Laura Amato Christopher Amato and Angela Kafka; and a great-grandchild, Tyler Schmitt..
Family members who died earlier include her husband, Natale Amato, deceased in 1959.

Calling hours are Monday and Tuesday, 2-4 and 7-9 pm at Cargain Funeral Homes, Inc. The funeral is Wednesday, 9:45 am at Saint John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church. Interment will follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery.
Memorial donations to the American Diabetes Association, 149 Madison Avenue, NY, NY, 10016 would be appreciated. CARGAIN FUNERAL HOMES, INC 418 Route 6, Mahopac (914)628-5655
partial obituaries for Natale Amato:
from google news archive search
http://news.google.com/archivesearch
Obituary 1 -- No Title
$3.95 - New York Times - Apr 4, 1959
9 A. M. AMATO--Natale J. The Teakettle Spout Lake Property Owners Association expresses deep sorrow at the passing of its beloved member and husband of our ...
and
Obituary 1 -- No Title
$3.95 - New York Times - Apr 4, 1959
11 A. M. [AMATO--Natale Joseph. of Lake Mahopae. beloved husband of A. May (nee ... 9 A. M. AMATO--Natale J. The Teakettle Spout Lake Property Owners ...
edit: added
found 4 Apr 1959 obituary on ancestry. com (subscription site)
Natale Joseph Amato
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did any c heckthe social security death index ? There is an Angelina C Gregory who was born January 18, 1914 and died in Mt. vernon, Westchester County NY on May 18. 1997. if this relates her SS-5 applicationshould have additonal information as to place of birth and parents names. =Peter=
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Great suggestion Peter :D !

This SSDI entry matches the possible obituary:

Name: May Amato
SSN: 086-10-xxxx
Last Residence:
10589 Somers, Westchester, New York
Born: 1 Apr 1912
Died: 15 Jan 2000
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
---

Social Security Application SS-5

Her SS# is available here if you don’t already have it:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

About the SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

Order form SSA-711 (can be done online):
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Amato1218 wrote: My other Grandmother was Vincenza Rappollo and came to the US in early 1900's from Partanna Sicily
with her brother Guiseppe?
Angela,
There are several possibilities for Vincenza's manifest on Ellis Island.
Perhaps if we work backwards?
Who did Vincenza marry?
Thanks!
Valarie