Nicolo Ferlazzo: probability, guidance...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Nicolo Ferlazzo: probability, guidance...

Post by warriorrabbit »

Apologies for the length.

My great grandparents came over in 1900. My grandfather (Carmelo) was born here in 1901 before the family returned to Italy, reporting his birth to the civil authorities there in 1902.

When my grandfather returned as an adult in 1924, he listed an Uncle Nicola Ferlazzo at 1905 4th Ave in Brooklyn. Later research indicate the address was wrong (4th Ave didn't have a 1900 block). As he was a citizen (having been born here) and didn't have to name anyone, etc., we assumed the address error was some sort of mistake (maybe he was misheard). We do know he had family here; my mother has pictures of him with his American cousins.

LucaP helped me confirm that my great great grandparents (Nicolo and my great grandfather's parents) were Giuseppe Ferlazzo and Nunzia Costa from Gioiosa Marea. He also helped verify that they had a son named Nicolo (my great great uncle), with a birthdate of Feb 14 1866. So far, so good.

First, I have had some difficulty figuring out when Nicolo came over, and where in Brooklyn he was. When my great grandparents came over, I don't think he was here because they didn't list him, a brother, as their contact (and wouldn't that be more likely?). Instead they listed a brother-in-law on Elizabeth St. So, I assumed Nicolo came over between late 1900 and 1923.

The Nicolo arriving in 1903 is from the wrong place. The other Nicolo/Nicolas are too young.

I found a 1910 census record of a Nicolo who is the right age and in Brooklyn (585 Park Ave), but he said he arrived in 1898. After a little searching, I found a Nicolo (Veiolo) from Gioiosa Marea (Givia Marea) who arrived in 1898. Age is right, origin is right...can't read who he's coming to see...

If that's him, I can't see why his brother (Celestino) would choose to list a brother-in-law instead of him when he arrived two years later. Unless there was a 'sponsorship' thing; that brother-in-law owned a chain of chicken stores while the brother (if it's him) is just a shoemaker.

No census records for this Nicolo after that. I also found a Nicolo Ferlazzo (it's under Ferlazro) who's the right age and right place returning to Brooklyn in 1904 (Union St?) from Gioiosa Marea, but he's a baker. He says he's been here 7 years. Could be the same guy... I don't know. Any thoughts on where to go with this are welcome. (1920 census, etc.)

Second, a while ago I ordered the 1933 death certificate for Nicholas Ferlazzo from the Municipal Archives, but he turned out to have been visiting from Virginia. There was another death in 1923, but I avoided it because I figured my grandfather would know his uncle was dead when he came over in 1924 and wouldn't put him down as the contact. But last week, knowing now who his parents were for sure, I ordered it anyhow, and today it came.

His parents were listed as Joseph Ferlazzo and Nancy Ferlazzo, rather than the Ferlazzo and Costa I expected. Still, seeing as how the names were Anglicized, maybe they skipped the maiden name thing, or maybe the daughter reporting it (Filomena) didn't know. And Nancy could surely be appropriate for Nunzia. However, the birthdate is slightly off -- Feb. 9 1867 instead of Feb 14, 1866. (The 1910 Nicolo had a daughter named Millie; could that be Filomena? But if his mother was Nancy/Nunzia, one of his daughters should be Nancy, and I didn't see one.)

His address was 1692 St. Marks Ave in Brooklyn and he was buried in St. John's Cemetery (Brooklyn, I assume).

Any thoughts on the probability that the census and manifest people are the same? That one or all are indeed the great great uncle? Any ideas on what to do next? If it's him, he's not on the 1920 census and he's dead too early for an SSN...

ETA: I think 1898 and 1910 Nicolo Ferlazzo are the same; they're both shoemakers and the years are right. Not sure about 1904 Nicolo and the 1924 reference by my grandfather. Death certificate Nicolo was also a shoemaker. I'm inclined to make assumptions that go my way, but curious as to what everybody else thinks.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Nicolo Ferlazzo: probability, guidance...

Post by suanj »

a probable death record:
Ferlazzo Nicholas 56 y Sep 27 1923 17574 Kings (birthyear) 1866 - 1867
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

I did order that certificate. It just introduced more questions.

The whole "second" section is devoted to that.

I know it's long, but I tried to give all the details to avoid confusion, although it looks like I created confusion.

ETA: From
There was another death in 1923, but I avoided it because I figured my grandfather would know his uncle was dead when he came over in 1924 and wouldn't put him down as the contact. But last week, knowing now who his parents were for sure, I ordered it anyhow, and today it came.
on is about that death certificate.

I just don't know if I can assume he's mine or where to go from here.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ah ok I missed it
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »