Irish and Italian connection??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rochestervillone

Irish and Italian connection??

Post by rochestervillone »

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the marriage of an "Italian" soldier to an Irish woman around 1885? The story goes that my great-great grandfather Giuseppi Villone was in the Italian military and was "stationed" in Ireland where he met and married my great-great grandmother and brought her back to San Mauro Forte, Basilicata, Italy to live. The woman he married might have been called "Rose Malone" or "Elisena Malone" or some spelling derivation of those names.[marq=down]

1)What military action or other event prompted the "Kingdom of Italy" (1861-1946) to send people to Ireland?[/marq]

2)Any thoughts as to how I can locate this woman's family without knowing a correct spelling or WHERE they got married?
[marq=down]
Thanks![/marq]
RochesterVillone
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Irish and Italian connection??

Post by daddymuzza »

this site allows you to search for irish marriages

http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php

only one result appears for a marriage of rose malone in 1889 in county lough although villone gets no results
if yer no fast yer last !!!
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Pinpointing Irish ancestors without knowledge of what county and even township they are from can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The above supplied site address is work in progress, so not all county records are available yet.
But it is worth registering and running the basic searches each time it is updated. A visit to the local LDS centre would be the way forward if you had an area to work with. To the best of my knowledge there is no event in history for a Kingdom of Italy soldier to be stationed there. Unless it was to do with consulate/diplomatic duties, then that would most probably be in Dublin, or if he was naval then his ship may have been docked there. It seems your best bet would be to try to obtain your Italian ancestors military records, which may tell you why and in what capacity he was there, and give an idea to whereabouts in Ireland he was.
Or another thought is to obtain your Irish ancestors records in Italy which may indicate to where in Ireland she is from. (morti).

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps there may be a death certificate for her in San Mauro Forte (prov.Matera) Basilicata intheir Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di San Mauro Forte Postakle 75010, (MT), Basilicata, Italy.

You can send a form letter which should be in Italian (go to www,circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/statocivile.asp) and youmight wish to enclose $5.00 in a self addressed envelope since research by poorly paid clerks occuirs as an e nd of day duty. The service is fre of charge to you.

Yopu can also look up for any death record at your nearest Mormon family history library (www.familysearch.org for location) by renting out the micorfilm for San mauro Forte for about $5.00 and research your entire family starting in 1809 to about 1900. =Peter=
rochestervillone

Post by rochestervillone »

PeterTimber wrote:Perhaps there may be a death certificate for her in San Mauro Forte (prov.Matera) Basilicata intheir Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di San Mauro Forte Postakle 75010, (MT), Basilicata, Italy.

You can send a form letter which should be in Italian (go to www,circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/statocivile.asp) and youmight wish to enclose $5.00 in a self addressed envelope since research by poorly paid clerks occuirs as an e nd of day duty. The service is fre of charge to you.

Yopu can also look up for any death record at your nearest Mormon family history library (www.familysearch.org for location) by renting out the micorfilm for San mauro Forte for about $5.00 and research your entire family starting in 1809 to about 1900. =Peter=
Thanks, Peter, Mahart and DaddyMuzza!

I am literally on my way out the door to visit my local "Family Center.' In another forum I saw that the LDS has a microfilm of the SanMauro civil records and I'm hoping that they'll be kind enough to order it for me.

Wish me luck...

RochesterVillone