Pontiff of the surname Fretti?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MiaAna

Pontiff of the surname Fretti?

Post by MiaAna »

Looking for information on a Fretti from way back who was a high ranking Roman Catholic-Bishop or Pope.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Pontiff of the surname Fretti?

Post by PeterTimber »

There is no immediate reference to fretti as part of the RomanCatholic Hierarchy...can you tell us where he served the church or where he came from..something more so we can identify him. Fretti is not isted as an Italian surname. =Peter=
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

PeterTimber wrote:There is no immediate reference to fretti as part of the RomanCatholic Hierarchy...can you tell us where he served the church or where he came from..something more so we can identify him. Fretti is not isted as an Italian surname. =Peter=
Peter,
He came from Milan and not sure of any dates.

I briefly looked into nobility the other day before my mother told me about that, so I wasn't looking for Surnames of Popes. I was looking for Fretti from government.
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

MiaAna wrote:
PeterTimber wrote:There is no immediate reference to fretti as part of the RomanCatholic Hierarchy...can you tell us where he served the church or where he came from..something more so we can identify him. Fretti is not isted as an Italian surname. =Peter=
Peter,

I briefly looked into nobility the other day before my mother told me about that, so I wasn't looking for Surnames of Popes. I was looking for Fretti from government.
Peter,
You say Fretti is not listed as an Italian surname. What is it? And what list are you referring to? The Fretti's come from Milan.
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

MiaAna wrote:
MiaAna wrote:
Peter,

Peter,
You say Fretti is not listed as an Italian surname. What is it? And what list are you referring to? The Fretti's come from Milan.
Peter,
This is from a reply on another site from a researcher in Italy.

http://cognome.alfemminile.com/w/cognom ... retti.html
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

Peter,

Sorry that link is broken.

here you are:

http://cognome.alfemminile.com/w/cognom ... retti.html

Thanks,
Mia
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I think you will find that this is not in fact the case...
>Cognome Italiano - Fretti<

This is the name nearest to Fretti in the list of Popes...
>Pope Pius 9th< Unlikely to be him...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

Peter,
What list for surnames are you referring to?
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Here are three heraldic devices for the name Fretti in Lombardia:

>FRETTI coat of arms<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

elba wrote:Here are three heraldic devices for the name Fretti in Lombardia:

>FRETTI coat of arms<
Thanks Elba for the references.

Mary
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Fretti is not listed as an Italian surname in the Church? The sites listed above by the others definitely show its an Italian surname so maybe you were referring to something else?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm sorry Mary. I didn't see you asked the same question first! I forgot to refresh my page. :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

Thanks Nuccia,

After perusing the Polk City Directories and Census from turn of the 20th century, I wondered whether the notetakers heard and spelled the name Fretti and whether it was Fretti or Feretti or whatever. Anyway, I need more information from family familiar with this.

Thanks again,
Mia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Italian Surname Dictionary by Emidio De Felice(DIZIONARIO DEI COGONMI ITALIANI) is the reference to the non listing of the surname FRETTI as an Italian surname. it is possible the surname was either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized.

There may be many persons residing in Italy with this surname but the origin of the surname is not listed as being Italian in origin. =Peter=
MiaAna

Post by MiaAna »

PeterTimber wrote:The Italian Surname Dictionary by Emidio De Felice(DIZIONARIO DEI COGONMI ITALIANI) is the reference to the non listing of the surname FRETTI as an Italian surname. it is possible the surname was either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized.

There may be many persons residing in Italy with this surname but the origin of the surname is not listed as being Italian in origin. =Peter=
Thanks, Peter,
I was more concerned with our line going back to Italy. Heck with all the wars and invasions, there aren't too many people who are only Italian without Arab, spanish, greek german, etc.
Yes I'm more concerned with Americans going back to Italy.
Thanks,