Mazzei-Scalise next gen. Mascaro-Scalise from Angoli, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mazzei-Scalise next gen. Mascaro-Scalise from Angoli, It

Post by Cathynap »

wldspirit wrote:Does Angoli hold the civil records or are they governed by a larger comuni? Need someone to double check this.
wldspirit
Angoli is a frasinone of Serrastretta and it was my understanding from Jim Bianco who also has a Scalise ancestor from Angoli that they had their own State Civil office with separate registers from Serrastretta. San Michele is also a frasinone of Serrastretta that has/had it's own Stato offices separate from Serrastretta. The earlier records may all be under Serrastretta - I am not sure what year the frasinones got their own registration offices. I would write to the address for Angoli.
Thanks everyone for the kind words about The Catanzaro Exchange (and me :oops: ). The Catanzaro Exchange has been a team effort. Billiedekid did Brognaturo - and it is almost complete! And of course James Bianco scanned several comuni records on the site. I have worked hard on Tropea and Cortale as well as my other websites.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Cathy.....long time no see!!!! :P

Thank you sooo much for the clarification!

The sites are amazing, I can only imagine the long hours you all have put into the transcription process, you should all be very proud!!!

Lee :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

My Great-Grandmother was Caterina Scalise, born Angoli and the daughter of Antonio Scalise and Francesca Mazzei.

Cathy pretty much summarized it correctly, they are all somehow part of Serrastretta.

We might be related, perhaps we should exchange notes!!

Jim
mclaue

Post by mclaue »

I also have Scalise relatives in Warren, PA. My grandfather Francesco Scalise (b1868) and grandmother Rosanna Scalise (b1883) were both born in Angoli. Yes they had the same last name but were not related. His Parents were Ortenso Scalise and Nancy Praueflue both from Angoli. Her parents were Dononico Scalise (b1840) and Clarinda Mascaro (b1853) also from Angoli. Its hard to believe in a town that small that we aren't all related somehow. My daughter is going to Angoli in September so any connections I can make would be good.
Mascaro-Scalise

Post by Mascaro-Scalise »

Hi everyone,
My great grandfather, Francesco Scalise (born to Giuseppe Scalise and Maria Mazzei in Angoli ~1850) moved to Warren, PA in ~1880. His wife was Rosa Mascaro of Angoli b. ~1853, but I don't know her parents' names.

Mclaue, I am very interested in your daughter's trip to Angoli because I am planning to go there myself within a year. I'd be fascinated to know whether she's doing any research and how the process works/worked for her.

Please keep me posted! I've been searching the LDS films, but I'm not having much luck. Thanks, Jim Bianco, for all your hard work.

Theresa

Does anyone know how they all ended up in Warren???? :)
scalise12

Post by scalise12 »

Hello Theresa,

I am Mclaue's daughter who is going to Angoli & Serrastretta in a few weeks. I actually haven't done much research... we are going to Calabria for a few days as part of a longer trip to Italy. We are going to the town hall in Serrastretta, and I'll let you know how it goes. We are also planning on "walking the streets" of Angoli (I read someplace the population is 112 now). We hope to find an interpreter when we get there to make gathering info easier. We'll take plenty of photos!

Colleen
Mascaro-Scalise

Post by Mascaro-Scalise »

I am sooooo jealous! I have wanted to jump on a plane ever since I discovered the town name! I'm really fascinated to know the history of the "Scalise exodus". Do you speak Italian? I wonder if the townspeople speak much standard Italian... Actually, I wonder many things about life there. Please oh please email me when you get back!

Enjoy your trip!

theresa
scalise12

Post by scalise12 »

I don't speak Italian, but I'll have my Italian dictionary handy! We're hoping to find a translator to make things easier. We are staying at a nearby town (Pianopoli) for 2 nights, so we'll have a full day to walk around & collect info & photos... I'll let you know how it goes! I'll have copies of my great-grandparents' birth certificates on me - they were born in the late 1800's in Angoli, but the birth certificates were printed later (1920's) in Serrastretta. I've noticed that Scalise is a very common name in that area, so it might be hard to figure out which Scalises are related to me. My great great uncle (Angelo Scalise) stayed in Angoli, and died there in 1962, so it might be easier to find info on him. I have letters he wrote from Angoli to my great aunt in Warren, PA. Sorry about my rambling... I'll be back mid-October & will give a full report sometime after that!

Colleen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Colleen you just might find that walking down the street youi see faces that you "recognize" as being somehow related to your family. This occurs oftenin smaller towns where they have been intermarrying for centuries and facial features tend to mix and blend over time. =Peter=
~Peter~
Joe2744

Re: Mazzei-Scalise next gen. Mascaro-Scalise from Angoli, Italy

Post by Joe2744 »

My dad, Joseph Lucia was born in Angoli? His father was Gabriel Lucia and his mother Rose Mascaro Lucia. My mothers family was Fazio. They came from a small village called Milhuiso (not sure of spelling -- found it on a map once. My mother died in 1979 and my dad in 1980. Spent their entire married life in Warren PA. My dad went back to Angoli when he was about four and came back when he was 11 or 12. Never got another chance to go back to Italy. I had four sisters and three brothers. --2 sisters died and 1 brother. I'm sure there is a relationship somewhere there but your family was about a generation ahead of my family.
Joe2744

Post by Joe2744 »

Would like to communicate with others whose ancestors came from Angoli or Milhuiso. When I was growing up my grandmothers sister Mary Stella Cianflone still lived in Angola. Her children Tony and Ernestine settled in Canada. They kept in touch with my aunt Mary Stella Lucia Scalzo until her death. Haven't heard from anyone in years. My aunts Mary (mentioned above) and Rose Lucia Mancuso visited Aunt Mary Stella in Angoli. Never took a picture of her or anything in Angoli. They had a camera alon. Any info would be appreciated. Joseph A Lucia, Jr (Deacon Joe)
Generosa

Post by Generosa »

Hi Joe I believe we are your relatives and live i. california. We are decendants from Philipo Montesano and Michele Scalzo. My brother has a hit for you as a cousin in his dna website. What is your email address? Perhaps we can correspond?