Marriages in Italy - his comune or hers?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Marriages in Italy - his comune or hers?

Post by lilbees »

If a couple marries can the record be searched for under the husband's name?

Or is the record always listed in the women's name?

Or does it depend whether they married in her comune or his or some other?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but............ :?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Marriages in Italy - his comune or hers?

Post by nuccia »

The husband's name is usually listed first in the indice. An example would be here:

http://mofrad.net/Portigliola/Matimonio ... io1894.gif

Sorry about the less than adequate image but I am currently in the process of converting all my files over to jpgs but there are still some horrible gifs left over. But you can also check out www.cosenzaexchange.com for more examples.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Hi
I was lucky to find all my marriage films had an alphabetical index. They were listed both ways under his last name /her name and then again with her name first. Parents were also listed in the next column which made them easier to pick out. I would think that if there was only onem it would be his name first. Good luck with your search.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I rsesearched both my father and my husbands, back to the 1700s, at the fhl. I found that there are many names missing from those lists. If that is how you are searching (fhl films) you should view each document.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I have found problems with the indici as well, eleven so I know what you mean. Alot of indici were never even filmed or are missing. Sometimes you have no choice but to look through the film.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Going page by page is the way to go. Often, you even find things you werent looking for.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I have ordered so many films in the last two years but I never had the heart to send any back. I'm glad I didn't because I have found something/someone on everyone of them. Once you start getting deeper into your research its amazing how you keep referring back to films that you thought you once didn't need.

Yes, going page by page is sometimes definitely the way to go. I am so glad I mad my films permanent now. They have come in very handy for me.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi lilbees,
in Italy from 1820 marriage records was registered with husband and wife surname. In major town you can find the marriage records indexed and typed in a book. Take a look to "Palermo Marriage Index" created from member hughtornabene oct 10 2008 at :

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... index8.htm

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi all!

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I did find going record by record is much easier. More time consuming but easier in the long run. That is how I found my uncle in Carlentini. Wasn't even looking for him but another family. I had gone through the indexes but decided to go through the records one by one. Alas! found someone I did not know even existed. After reading through and finding my great grandfather's name I was quite surprised.

The above is why it is taking me so long going back over films I had rented and returned and now have again. I was wondering if another child had been born that I did not know about that maybe died. Who knows?

My great grandmother's name is very easy to recognize. "Angela Catalano" So if in doubt I look for that and my great grandfather's first name "Antonio". Again easily recognized. The last name of Rescigno, well that is something else. I have found it mostly not recognizable so I end up reading through much of the record.

I will admit, it is really fun as well. I know one thing, there are a heck of a lot of Catalanos in Sicily. WOW!

Now I have to go back through the marriage records and see what I can find for my great grandparents if anything.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I just wanted to add one more thing. I find all these beautiful records hand written in the books in a lovely script. But, when I need to read one that may belong to my family, I can guarantee you that the writing is all scrinched up and, it seems, written in a light pencil instead of ink. I know I am digging around in records from the early half of the 19th century and expect them to be a little difficult to read but...........................

lilbees
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Lucky you to find marriage indexes cross referenced. In the Frosinone area I have found only indexes by the grooms surname (if there are any at all) and only very rarely are the women indexed. One town only noted the names of women from the parish who married out of the parish.
Often the only marriage information for a woman is a notation on the birth certificate.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

The films I am working through are not crossed indexed and they are by record number and not alphabetical. But, I guess when you have to go through them record by record it doesn't make any difference.

lilbees