DI STASIO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

DI STASIO

Post by brru25 »

I've been trying to find the immigration papers on a woman named Anna Di Stasio. I tried looking on ancestry.com and ellisisland.org to no luck.

According a 1930 census report she was born approx. 1904 and she immigrated here approx. 1925. and she married a man named Gabriel Farias in 1926. They live in Beverly, NJ.

However, it should be noted that on the 1930 census report it says her last name was Ferri, not Farias. One of the many problems could be that the dates on the census report or incorrect (Maybe they married before they immigrated and not after). There's the possibility that Di Stasio is spelled differently.

Any help or direction would be gratefully appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: DI STASIO

Post by PeterTimber »

Di Stasio is indeed an Italian surname mostly found in Campania region,however, Farias is Spanish in origin. Chances are she would not show up in the ellisisland.org website after 1924. Perhaps some additonal small amount of information will make a differenc e here.. Is she alive? Did she die after 1963? if so perhaps she would show up in the social security death index. www.ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com =Peter=
~Peter~
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DI STASIO

Post by brru25 »

To my knowledge Anna Di Stasio died sometime between 1945 and 1955, she was young, so there probably won't be any SS death index record. Gabriel was definitely Italian but you're right about the possibility of Farias being Spanish. What makes me think he changed his name to Farias was that the 1930 census said his last name was Ferri. Other than the possible 1904 birth date and 1925 immigration date I don't really have that much more info on her. It's kind of a mystery and a pain in the butt because there were so many women named Anna Di Stasio who came here.