Amato, Caragliano names in Milazzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Amato, Caragliano names in Milazzo

Post by borderline »

If anyone else is interested in Milazzo, Italy family research, please let me know. I'm studying the Amato and Caragliano names but would like to hear from you if you have been searching any families in Milazzo.
ZDPerry

Miano & Lococo or Coco in Milazzo, Messina, Sicily

Post by ZDPerry »

Hello, Borderline. I am searching the Miano family in Milazzo, Messina, Sicily.

I recently found the Petition for Naturalization for Antonino "Antonio" Miano on the website www.footnote.com for the City of New York. Antonino Miano indicated that he was born in Milazzo in 1865. Antonino's brother-in-law, Bernardo Tuzza, witnessed this petition document.

Antonino Miano's brother, Giuseppi "Joseph" Miano, moved to Portsmouth, Virginia in the 1880s and he married to an Irish Catholic girl named Mary Ellen O'Brien in 1885 in Portsmouth, Virginia. Joseph Miano indicated on his marriage certificate that his parents' names were Pasquale and Sarah Miano from Sicily.

I have ordered the birth microfilms from the Family History Library to be sent to a local Mormon Family History Center for the City of Milazzo and I hope to find Giuseppi Miano born around the 1863-1866 time period with a father named Pasquale Miano. Joseph and Mary Ellen O'Brien Miano named their first child Sarah, while Joseph's brother Antonino Miano and Antonino's wife, Maria Tuzza Miano, named their first child Serina. Joseph Miano's Death Certificate for Portsmouth, Virginia in 1918 says his mother's maiden name was Lococo, while Antonino's Death Certificate from Staten Island, NY in the 1920s says his mother's maiden name was Coco. Hopefully a birth record exists for Giuseppi Miano and Antonino Miano in Milazzo, and hopefully the maiden name of their mother was either Lococo or Coco as this would help prove that I have located the correct family records in Sicily.

Please let me know whether you come across the surname Miano or the surnames Lococo or Coco in the Milazzo area.

Sincerely,
ZDPerry, Virginia Beach, VA
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Amato, Caragliano names in Milazzo

Post by PeterTimber »

An old dictum has it that one should never overlook the obvious. In keeping with the dictum I came across Giovanna Coco in Capri leone (ME) 1827 and several Miano in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto and Pozzo di Gotto,(ME) which I am sure has been reviewed by you inthe www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. =Peter=
~Peter~
ZDPerry

Post by ZDPerry »

Thank you, Peter, but yes I had already reviewed those names. Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto is certainly close to Milazzo, and when I searched the number of Mianos in Sicily today, the town of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto has the highest number of Mianos of any location in Sicily.

I will follow-up with a post after reviewing the microfilms in the next two weeks.

Zane
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thank you. I researched my own family line but traced the surname instead and only interested myself in historical people and places that I could document. Have fun. =Peter=
~Peter~
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

So far, have not found anything connecting Miano to my family. Good Luck.
ZDPerry

Post by ZDPerry »

PeterTimber wrote:An old dictum has it that one should never overlook the obvious. In keeping with the dictum I came across Giovanna Coco in Capri leone (ME) 1827 and several Miano in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto and Pozzo di Gotto,(ME) which I am sure has been reviewed by you inthe www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. =Peter=
PeterTimber, I reviewed the microfilms yesterday for Milazzo and found several interesting items.

First, I did find Antonino Miano's Birth Certificate in the year 1865. Antonino was born, however, on the 9th of October rather than the 9th of March as was entered on his Petition for Naturalization in New York City when he petitioned in 1908. Antonino's parents were indeed given to be Pasquale Miano and Rosaria Lo Coco, so the information on the death records for Antonino in State Island and for his brother, Giuseppi "Joseph" Miano of Portsmouth, Virginia were correct.

The interesting thing that I noticed during my review of the microfilms covering the City of Milazzo was the absolute lack of any other Mianos in the City of Milazzo. No other birth records nor marriage records have been found yet (understand, though, that I was only there a few hours reviewing microfilms). I did find one Death Record for a Rosario Miano in the year 1880 in Milazzo. This Rosario was listed as being the son of Santi Miano, and the record said that Rosario was from the City of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.

Pasquale Miano's profession was listed on his son's Birth Certificate as "Custode di Detenuti" when his son Antonino was born in 1865. A literal translation of this profession is "Caretaker of Prisoners", so I believe Pasquale must have been working in a prison there in Milazzo as a Guard or something similar. The Mianos might have been in Milazzo simply for work, and may have indeed have been from some other out-lying town. I will begin ordering microfilms for the year 1836 for Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto to try to find the birth record of Pasquale Miano.

Thank you for your tip, PeterTimber!

Zane
ZDPerry

Post by ZDPerry »

I found a tie between the Amato family and the Miano family. As listed above, Antonino Miano was born in Milazzo on 9 Oct 1865 to Pasquale Miano (born about 1836) and Rosaria Lo Coco (born about 1836). Antonino married in the City of Messina in 1893 to Maria Flavia Tuzza. Maria's mother's name was Gaetana Amato, and Gaetana Amato was listed as being deceased at the time of Maria's marriage to Antonino Miano. The Wedding Publication listed the death record of Gaetana Amato, and it said that she was born in about 1856 in the City of Messina to Serafino Amato and Rosalia Di Bella. Gaetana Amato died in the City of Messina in 1885, and it listed the place of her death as 18 Via Maddalena. I Googled this address and found it to be very close to the railroad line and the waterfront, just south of the harbor.

Please let me know whether you find a link between your Amatos of Milazzo and those of Messina -- especially to Serafino Amato.

Sincerely,
Zane
Maxene Imbruglia

Post by Maxene Imbruglia »

Hi - I am researching the Imbruglia, La Rosa, Scarmato and Maiorana names - all from Milazzo. Maxene
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Imbruglia:

I'm not sure if it was Imbruglio or Imbrulia, but I have a record of Anna Maria Imbruglio married to Salvatore Amato, they had two children (at least): Vincenzo Amato born Feb 3 1879 and Gioachino Amato born Jul. 27 1880. These are from birth records #52 (1879) and #235 (1880).

La Rosa: I have a Francesca La Rosa, wife of Guiseppe Amato, parents of Maria Amato died 1901, death record #81.

Hope this helps.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Also, Anna Maiorana (could be Maiorana), married to Rocco Amato, 1844, marriage certificate #44. And this couple had a baby Rosaria Amato born Apr. 29 1845, birth certificate #124.

Giuseppe Amato and Gaetana Maiorana had a baby Anna Amato b. Apr 9 1846, birth certificate #67.

Onofrio Amato and Vincenza Maiorana had a baby Domenico Amato b. Dec. 10, 1865, birth certificate #231.

Let me know if this is helpful.
Maxene Imbruglia

Hi Borderline -
We are trying to locate information on the Imbruglia, Scarmato, La Rosa and Maiorana families who would have lived in Milazzo in the 1800s. Any suggestions on how we go about accessing records would be gratefully received.
Maxene Imbruglia
Maxene Imbruglia

Borderline - hi. For some reason your notes on Amato/Maiorana have only now appeared on my computer. The people you mention may be connected to our family but I am not sure. I have so far only been able to access the info from Lipari where Stefano Imbruglia (born 1897 in Milazzo) and Teresa Scarmato (born 1893 Milazzo) moved in the early 1900s. I believe their parents were: Giuseppe Imbruglia and Rosaria La Rosa and Antonio Scarmato and Giuseppa Maiorana (who may have been born in 1875). From what I have been told, both sides of the family were from Milazzo. Until I am able to actually view some official records, I am searching blind. I have taken note of all of the people you mentioned in case they are relevant. If I discover a connection, I will let you know. Thanks again, Maxene
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

All my info comes from the microfilms of birth records from the town of Milazzo, ordered via the LDS church.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Hello, I am trying to find a connection to Carmela Amato and Jennie Amato Jennie lived with the Ruggieri, Vaccaro Family and Carmela lived with the Maisano Providenti,La Rosa family here in NY