Records from church in Bella PZ

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Records from church in Bella PZ

Post by aabruno »

All,
I am trying to get records (before 1810) from the main church in Bella, PZ; which is a very small citta near Potenza. I have written to them but did not receive a response. (I know the exact date of one of the death records) I wonder if others have experienced a better way to write to the church.. perhaps first writting the regional diocesis. Or maybe these records are now kept in regional microfilm.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Grazie,
Anthony

This was the letter I sent:

Rev. Parroco di Parrocchia Santa Maria Assunta
Largo dei Martiri
85051 Bella PZ

17 aprile 2007

Reverendo Padre,

Mi chiamo Antonio Bruno, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo riportato qui sotto. Sto facendo una ricerca genealogica sulla mia famiglia. Mi risulta che il mio quintavolo, Pasquale BRUNO, figlio di Vito BRUNO, fu battezzato nella Sua parrocchia intorno al 1750. Il nome di sua madre sconosciuto, cerco il suo nome.
Le sarei molto grato se potesse cercare l’atto di battesimo di Pasquale Bruno (1750 circa) e l'atto di matrimonio di Pasquale con Catarina RICCIARDELLA in 1770 circa. Nel caso riuscisse a trovarli, vorrei pregarla di spedirmene gli estratti con i nomi ed età dei genitori così come sono registrati.

Le sarei molto grato se potesse cercare l’atto di morte di Vito BRUNO, padre de Pasquale. Morto esattamente il 10 maggio 1771. Non conosco e cerco l’età alla morte e i nomi dei suoi genitori e moglie.

Le sarei molto grato se potesse cercare gli atti di battesimi dei figli di Pasquale e di Catarina: Vincenzo BRUNO (1774 circa), Anzelmo BRUNO (1770 circa), e Celesta Bruno (sconosciuto).

Se non avesse i registri corrispondenti, potrebbe fornirmi l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove i registri possano essere trovati?

Alla presente accludo 30 euro. In caso non fosse sufficiente, La prego di farmi sapere quanto ancora Le devo.

La ringrazio in anticipo per ia Sua gentilezza e premura.

Antonio Bruno
address and email
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Records from church in Bella PZ

Post by Italysearcher »

It is very likely you did not receive a response becasue the information you are requesting was not included in the act. I do a lot of parish record searches and most records from the early 1700's record only the basic information. They are nothing like the civil records. The ages of the parents were not given in any baptism records I have seen, and their parents names were given only if there was more than one person of that name in town. Death records rarely provide the parents names and only the wife's name if there was more than one person of that name in town. The age was usually given and occasionally the cause of death. In parts of North Italy the Diocese has started to collect the older records in an attempt to conserve them but in the centre and south this is not happening that I know of. It is also possible that the records no longer exist. I have been to several churches where there are no records prior to 1900 due to WW2, or fires, or earthquakes.
Next thing is to call the priest and ask if he received your letter and what records, if anything are available.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since there are no telephones inthe two churches in Bella it may signify that these churches are closed and depend upon an intinerant priest who makes a circuit tour of villages not served by an priests. Your letter may have gone "astray' or sent to the Diocesan offices. Go to www.catholic-hierarchy.org/Diocese/dpmlm.html and send thenm a copy of your letter with a covering letter addressed to the Potenza Muro Lucano dioceses offices.

Genealogy research of church records can find documents not only in parishes but also in the bishop's archives of the ruling curia. =Peter=
~Peter~
michela1681

Post by michela1681 »

The churches in Bella are up and running! The priests are just ... a bit aloof to say the least. You should try calling the town hall or something similar. My family still lives there and I visit as often as possible :) My family name is Murano
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Can you list the churches in Bella. I am going there and also need family birth info. Any suggestions to help in locating birth and death information?> I have family names of Divito, Giordano, Castelgrande, and Malanga.

Any early preperations before the trip are appreciated.

Thank you.
Tony
michela1681

Post by michela1681 »

5zoe16 wrote:Can you list the churches in Bella. I am going there and also need family birth info. Any suggestions to help in locating birth and death information?> I have family names of Divito, Giordano, Castelgrande, and Malanga.

Any early preperations before the trip are appreciated.

Thank you.
Tony
I'm friends with some Malanga's ! My mom is in Bella visiting for a few months , when will you be there? Maybe we can help...
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Thanks, we will not be there until September 2011. A man named Anthony
Malanga, was married to my Grandfathers sister, Anna. They were married 70+ years. They were married and lived in NY. She was Anna Divito, from Bella, born about 1891, married NY about 1908, at the Holy Name Church at Amsterdam Ave, and 96th ST. He was a cobbler. The Divito's, Castelgrande's, Giordano's and Malanga's all came from Bella.

If you can help, or any of this sounds familiar, please let us know.

Thanks,

Tony
michela1681

Post by michela1681 »

LOL it all sounds familiar
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1596176048
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1089018290
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1256866502
the list goes on and on...
Where are you staying when you get there?
Maybe I can do some research after the holiday and get back to you! I'm so excited to help out!!
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Thanks, we still in the planning stages. But will be staying at the Grande Albergo in Potenza. Other than that we are open to suggestions. Flying in, then train to Potenza, then Car? Your help is appreciated. Where are you located, what country. Our goal for our visit is to get some birth records, in the US we keep hitting walls, people just appear to vanish. Any church info so we can directly contact or where at the archivio di state di Bella, or archivio di potenza even certificato di stato di familiglia can we write, our italian is very poor, but still trying to learn. Your help with our rsearch has helped make the holiday better. Any information we can supply let us know.

Thanks again,

Tony Divito
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Michela1681,

So what would be my best way to proceed? I am wanting to find out the name of Pasquale Bruno's mother (Vito's wife). I know that Vito Bruno died exactly on 10 MAG 1771. Is there a way to get information from the church?

Grazie mille,

Anthony
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

I do have a general question...In many of my records I find the family living on a street called "Solevolonno" in Bella, PZ.. but I do not find it on maps... Did the name change?
cbruno1986

Post by cbruno1986 »

I was doing some research and came across your post. My great grandfather is from Bella also. His name was Carlo Bruno. Was born in 1883. He came to New York twice, 1902 and 1909. Just curious if any relation?