Cerini Family-Giumaglio, Switzerland

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Cerini Family-Giumaglio, Switzerland

Post by jsybalsky »

I am in need of someone to obtain copies of some records in Giumaglio, Switzerland on my Cerini family. They need to be done in person as all other avenues have been done (emails, letters, phone calls).

I am disabled and live in California, USA and can't do this myself.

Thank you
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Cerini Family-Giumaglio, Switzerland

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi jsybalsky

The LDS has microfilms of church records for Baptismns, marriages, deaths, census etc. from 1668 through 1899. Maybe if the records you're looking for fall within those years you could order the microfilm to view at a Family History Center (FHC) near you. You can make copies or save the images to take home.

Here is the link for the microfilm
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... lesiastici++

And here is the link to locate a FHC
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

Just a thought in case you're interested.

Regards,
Elizabeth
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

Thank you for your suggestion. All avenues have been pursued from here in the US. The LDS that is near me is unhelpful and the people there don't even know how to make a copy from the microfilm, so that avenue of looking doesn't work for me.

I really need someone to go in person as some of the records have been confirmed to be there, but the parish and archives that have the records won't make copies or do lookups. It is have someone make an appointment to look further.

The language barrier also can be frustrating to a non Italian speaking research as myself.

Again thank you for the idea.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jsybalsky. I checked out the requirements for document requests in Giumaglio, Ticino Switzerland and aside from the fee feature I suspect that requests have to be made in Italian since the address is written to the Ufficiale, Ufficio Di Stato Civile in Giumaglio. It seemed pretty clear cut. Is foreign language the impediment to your mail request for documents in Giumaglio?

The reason why I ask is that there are form letters in Italian that we can provide you inthe event this would help you. Please let us know. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

I had a cousin who speaks/write/talks Italian do the letters as well as follow up by phone on the inquiries (they do genealogy as well). The fee wasn't the issue, the issue is they don't want to be bothered.

I am not sure why the places that have the records (both on civil and parish levels) tell us to "make an appointment and to come do the search and copy" on our own that is not getting across to readers of my postings.

So if anyone is near Giumaglio or knows someone in that area I'd really appreciate their help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The town of Maggia has absorbed Giumaglio making it a suburb so perhaps this information may assist you in some way. Perhaps sending a request to Maggia may open up a door.for you. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

Thanks for your response.

ALL PLACES we have contacted have told us to "make an appointment and to come do the search and copy."

I really need someone to actually go in person as ALL avenues have been tried.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I have a suggestion for a genealogical society that may be of assistance in Swtizerland. Go to www.eye.ch/swissgen/kant/tiallg-e.htm and scroll down to Genealogical societies and assistance covering Ticino as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

Thank you for your pointer, that avenue was pursued.

I really do need someone that can go and obtain the copies of the records/registers.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps this might also be redundant but there are a number of references to genelogists for hire under the title Ticino genealogist for hire swtizerland in Google.com which you may have consulted. I mention this because it is obvious but sometimes you cannot overlook even the obvious. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

So far none are in Giumaglio or won't respond to correspondence asking about their fees, etc.

Example---The one researcher I did find for Primaluna research wanted $650.00 US to go make one copy of a record I know is there. That to me is way out of anyone's price range and seems to be way above the standard pricing for doing research in the area.

The search for someone to help contiues.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

My last and best shot is a woman researcher out of Utah who does almost exclusive genealogy work on site in Southern Italy several times a year. She can be located at www.gentracer.com and I feel certain she can help you. Paul Schmidt does central europe under her auspices!!

I would vouch for her night and day for her competence and integrity. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

I will contact her to see if she will do Northern Italy. Thanks for the pointer.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I already spoke to you about Paul Schmidt who works under her auspices for Central europe (Germany etc) who may also be able to loop down into Lombardia and complete your assignment at Primaluna. I am sure she will be fair priced. =Peter=
~Peter~
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

Yes you did and I thanked you for the pointed.....and I have replied here and in the other posting that I would contact them....AGAIN. They were on my list of people who did not respond, so I will send her a note asking about Paul. All others I have contacted and it has been MANY all state nope can't help, don't know anyone who can.